Pea family photos

Beautiful pen and fowl! Wow! That is truly a gorgeous set-up you have there for them.

-Kim

Not a problem.
smile.png
It is one of those things that have to be seen to be appreciated. It's hard to believe something so young and small can fly that high or far. Within just few days they can fly 10+ feet easily if not already.

Glad the family is doing well!

Sounds like quite a family you've got there. I can't see the pictures, I see just a red square. All except for the waterer. I'm very curious as to the habitat you provided them. It sounds great. And with such big birds it interests me how its made.

hehe once when walking a rural road I thought I heard someone yell help. I paused, heard it again and started moving fast trying to tell where it was coming from. I heard it again and broke into a full run as I was convinced it was a call for help. A few calls later I heard that all too familiar "hey Earl.. hey Earl". Thats what their call sounds like to me. Different friends of mine have had them ranging on their land to keep snakes and wood rats at bay. Hehe I've been startled more than once by a big ole peafowl sitting way up in a tree. It's surprising to me that they can fly so high.

Today the family had an adventure. I have been letting out the ducks and chickens all day long to roam the yard. The peafowl have not been let out very often because of my fear of them escaping since I view them as more valuable.

Anyways, the female very regally strutted through looking like Akasha Queen of the darn sizing up all her minions and picked fights with all the chickens. The male- her mate- escaped into the woods. I put the mother and kids back into their house while I searched for the dad. He was GONE!

So I went inside and had breakfast and thought about replacing him with a white male. Anyways, about an hour later he showed back up and I herded him in with his family.

So that was their adventure. The horse does not like the peafowl for some reason. Maybe because she is protective of the ducks and chickens that they were attacking. To make a long story short, I doubt I will give the peafowl the freedom I give my other birds.

In the end all are back in their house safe and sound again though.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Well we had another adventure. Last night I was herding the peas into their shelter, the white female got nervous and flew up into a tall tree. So she spent the night outside in a tree. This morning when she saw me feeding everyone she came down. I put her in her house with her family and now all is well again. So now both parents have ventured away a bit to explore the world and came back home.
big_smile.png

PS I guess I better cut everyone's wings!

Last edited:
Would love to see your pea photos - would you mind posting again? For anyone wanting a comprehensive guide to raising peafowl, there's another post in this section about that.

Love reading your stories about your peas.

Back
Top Bottom