Pea in feed

Laurahowemt

In the Brooder
Jun 20, 2020
Stevensville, MT
I am brand new to chickens (5.5 week old golden comets) and it is time to buy a second bag of grower feed. I was looking at some of the feeds, and first of all am AMAZED that there is no animal or insect protein in anything I looked at, but then saw some brands have a LOT of pea. I am aware of a severe food issue with dogs where peas are heavily used in some kibble. Now I know chickens aren't dogs, and that is why I came here. Can anyone tell me about the science behind peas in chicken feed? Is it a newer occurance or has it been used for decades? With dogs, it seemed to be a cheap way to add bulk and to substitute pea protein for meat protein. However the mechanism is not well known, many dogs are dying of DCM heart failure. So I am a little leery until I know more. I was shocked that the grubblie food had pea for the first ingredient as I was all excited about a feed with insects!

Chicken oracles, what say ye? Thanks!

If you want animal protein, there's unfortunately not many options. Scratch & Peck uses fish protein, and as you noted Grubbly uses insect protein. There's a few others that use fish but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Peas are actually really good for chickens, they provide niacin and the chickens love them, I give them peas all the time. As for chicken feed I have no idea, I just use Purina Unmedicated. I give them lots of bugs though, you can add crickets and mealworms though, and I've heard of people breeding rollie pollies for chickens as well.

Back
Top Bottom