pea kids new home, and new roommates

country_girl011

Songster
8 Years
Aug 7, 2011
ohio
i recently moved in with my boyfriend as we are expecting.
i refused to leave my feathered kids behind so he build me an aviary ,
i know how contrialversial housing other avian species with peas has been on here.
but im going to do it. they have lived side by side for months with no problems.
the move happens tomarrow.
6 peas. 4 calll ducks. and 4 bantam silkie hens.

and this is their new home

i know its slightly small for everyone .
it will be extended and widened in spring. this is all we could afford right now.
the pen is 8ft tall. 14 ft wide. and 16 ft long.
with a 10x8 shed (6 foot tall)
3 foot tall perch inside for the peas.
and we are going to add a 5-6 foot perch outside for the peas.
the top is covered with green snowfencing.

I have calls and silkies too, and my immediate concern is that your silkies may drown in the ducks water. :( Have you thought about how you may avoid that?

I'm glad you plan to expand it in the spring and hope they all continue to get along. Congrats on expecting!

I have calls and silkies too, and my immediate concern is that your silkies may drown in the ducks water. :( Have you thought about how you may avoid that?

I'm glad you plan to expand it in the spring and hope they all continue to get along. Congrats on expecting!
my silkies are already currently in a large pen with the ducks and geese.
they avoid the duck pool and use the smaller waterer instead.
so they know all about the ducky business already.
its the peas i worry about.
i just hope everyone gets along.
right now having a huge pen isnt my biggest concern since my peakids are only 5 months old.

and thanks =)

Last edited:
Make sure you keep the snow off of the shed roof as much as possible... I know from experience that they can collapse. And our snow isn't the heavy wet stuff that you probably get. Also knock the snow off of the snow fencing before it builds up. It can pull your whole fence down.

Other than that, congrats on expecting!

Thanks for the tips. Ill try to keep it brushed off the shed and if it builds up on the fence ill knock it off
And thankss

the kids are here
and everyone handled the trip well.
the peas didnt beat themselves up or even stress much they began eating gras as soon as they got out

ducks are inside the shed playing in the fresh straw

They look like they're already enjoying their new home!
clap.gif

Forgive me for bringing this up, and you have probably already thought about this, but other peapeople who build housing seem concerned about the predators-digging-under-the-fence problem (our guys freerange so I don't know anything about these issues). I wonder if your enclosure extends underground?

It doesnt. But the kids are penned up at night and there are 2 outside dogs that bark about everything. So iim hoping we have predator problems covered

The only predator that I ever had dig in was my neighbors dog...

Did they ride in the trailor? I Bought a trio a few weeks ago, and since it was chilly out I brought them home in the back of an SUV. It was only about a 45 minute trip but I don't think my poor Blazer will ever smell the same again. And the whole time I thought about Steve of Sands poultry who did a road trip and brough some home in the back seat of his new Camaro. I wonder if they was why he traded for a new model?
lol.png

Yup all birds rode in trailer.
Peas in a big dog kennel
And silkies and ducks in a chicken crate.
My cameo rode home in the truck of our car when we first got her(full grown. And completly loose). I know what you mean about the smell

Back
Top Bottom