1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Peachick question...with pics.

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by BHep, Jul 9, 2011.

1. BHep

BHep Overrun With Chickens

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    I hatched my first 2 peachicks... they hatched different colors. Does this mean one or more are split to another color or are they auto-sexing? I thought they were all IBs. I have added pictures of my adults.

Cesar....
    [​IMG]

Penny
    [​IMG]

Mark Anthony ( I was told it was a male) [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cleo
    [​IMG]

And the babies..........
    [​IMG]

2. C&Rman

C&Rman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Nevada
    Ok I think Mark Anthony is a IB split to white and one of the babies looks like a Black Shoulder, then the rest are IB I think.

3. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Congratulations [​IMG]

Mark Anthony has white flights so the white pea chick came from her egg,
    i have sisters like this one is white the other is Indian blue

4. BHep

BHep Overrun With Chickens

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    I never even noticed that Mark Anthony had white flight feather. I am fairly new to Peafowl, I got these 4 last summer.
    Will the darker chick be IB ? Then what color is the lighter chick going to be?

5. C&Rman

Feb 26, 2011
    Nevada
    I am pretty sure the darker chick will be IB and the lighter chick looks to be Black Shoulder.

6. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    C&Rman :

I am pretty sure the darker chick will be IB and the lighter chick looks to be Black Shoulder.

Why do you say blackshoulder? [​IMG]

7. C&Rman

Feb 26, 2011
    Nevada
    Quote:Why do you say blackshoulder? [​IMG]

It kinda looks like it has gold barring on its wing. But that was just my guess!

8. DMFarm

DMFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Winona Tx
    One of the chicks is india blue the other is a blackshoulder you can tell by the tan flight feather if it was a white the flight would be white. To get a blackshoulder chick that means both parents are split blackshoulder. Mark Anthony is a hen she is a india blue split white.

9. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Blackshoulder is also (if I recall) the oldest mutation in the genes, so it's probably one of the more common to find IB split to without anyone knowing. There's no real good way to tell when an IB is split to something (other than something with white, because that shows in the flight feathers), til the babies turn out different. Grats on your chicks!

10. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:[​IMG] Thanks for the pictures! Cesar and all his ladies are so 'purdy! The peachicks are just plain adorable.

~ Aspen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by