peachick...what kind?

Looks like an in and indian blue pied with blackshouldered mixed in

Zaz you win the prize! Don't know what prize, but you win! You have such keen eyesight and so often you see things in pics that others do not. I have long suspected one of my pied males is split to BS, but I never put him with a BS hen to find out. I have oodles of BS already and don't need more. I am assuming this is his son and somehow the BS pattern is showing on these wing feathers.

It's kind of hard to tell exactly where on the wing those dark feathers are - couldn't they just be the regular blueblack wing feathers that IB have?

If I am not mistaken there are barred feathers between these BS looking ones and the flights that would be red, but are white on this guy. That would mean they are too high on the wing to be the regular black ones an IB gets, plus the IB never has that pattern of light and dark on his Black feathers, only young BS birds get that pattern. Not that I think there is anything terribly exotic about this bird, I just have never seen this in 20 years so it struck me as very odd.

He's got a serious mess of color going on doesn't he?

Here is the suspected father

And mother (Nanu's sister)

Last edited:
DylansMom,

Thanks so much, that clears it up! So if I breed the BS father back to the Cameo daughter then I have the possibility of getting a Cameo cock, is that correct? Does that also mean the other 4 BS siblings have the possibilty of carrying the Cameo gene as well? Thanks for all help! I just love surprises when it comes to hatching eggs! : )

scott

DylansMom,

Thanks so much, that clears it up! So if I breed the BS father back to the Cameo daughter then I have the possibility of getting a Cameo cock, is that correct? Does that also mean the other 4 BS siblings have the possibilty of carrying the Cameo gene as well? Thanks for all help! I just love surprises when it comes to hatching eggs! : )

scott

That is correct, your male is split Cameo and if he is bred back to the Cameo daughter you can get Cameo males. Cameo is sex linked which means only males can be split to it, hens are either IB or Cameo, they can't be split to a sex-linked color. So female siblings are not split to Cameo, but male siblings could be split to it, just like dad. Very welcome Scott!

Forgive me if you were just using it as an example, but its not a good idea to inbreed that closely,i.e. father to daughter. Its done by breeders when trying to get new colors but unless its accompanied by strict culling, it can cause a mess.

Forgive me if you were just using it as an example, but its not a good idea to inbreed that closely,i.e. father to daughter. Its done by breeders when trying to get new colors but unless its accompanied by strict culling, it can cause a mess.

Why don't you post this as a separate thread or a poll. I was under the same impression, but over the years I have been told again and again by those with more experience than me that it is not a big deal and doing it once is not likely to cause any problems. If the original parents are not related and it is not perpetually done thru several generations, which is what breeders end up doing to get the new colors, it is considered much safer than a brother to sister breeding. I would really like to hear what the general consensus is and also if anyone has had any genetic problems pop up because they did it.

Why don't you post this as a separate thread or a poll. I was under the same impression, but over the years I have been told again and again by those with more experience than me that it is not a big deal and doing it once is not likely to cause any problems. If the original parents are not related and it is not perpetually done thru several generations, which is what breeders end up doing to get the new colors, it is considered much safer than a brother to sister breeding. I would really like to hear what the general consensus is and also if anyone has had any genetic problems pop up because they did it.
The reality of "inbreeding" is very simple. Inbreeding by itself is not inherently better or worse then any other type of breeding. Inbreeding does not "cause" negative mutations. There is no more of a chance of spontaneous defect from inbreeding than any other type of breeding. What can and frequently does in closed breeding populations is that bad traits become concentrated with no chance of removal. Breed bad genetics and you get bad genetics. Breed good genetics and you get good genetics. Does not matter how they are related. The more diversity you have to choose from, however, the better your chance of isolating or not propagating bad genetics.

What we consider inbreeding occurs naturally every day in the animal world and not necessarily as the exception in many instances.

The reality of "inbreeding" is very simple. Inbreeding by itself is not inherently better or worse then any other type of breeding. Inbreeding does not "cause" negative mutations. There is no more of a chance of spontaneous defect from inbreeding than any other type of breeding. What can and frequently does in closed breeding populations is that bad traits become concentrated with no chance of removal. Breed bad genetics and you get bad genetics. Breed good genetics and you get good genetics. Does not matter how they are related. The more diversity you have to choose from, however, the better your chance of isolating or not propagating bad genetics.

What we consider inbreeding occurs naturally every day in the animal world and not necessarily as the exception in many instances.

The fact that it happens in nature all the time is the reason I stopped thinking it was a terrible thing and likely going to cause birth defects. I have a friend who has a flock of about 30 Peas they have had these birds on the family farm for like 25 years now, they do not control breeding at all, but have on occasion brought in a new hen. Usually they collect eggs to control population, but when they do allow them to hatch they don't have anymore chicks with issues than I do and that's seldom. We figure there are quite a few generations of inbreeding going on there.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom