Peachick with swollen foot, can't stand from hatching.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ash1, Feb 10, 2013.

1. ash1

ash1 New Egg

Jan 20, 2013
    I have a peachick who hatched out about 36 hours ago.

He has not yet been able to stand. He doesn't appear to have spraddle/splayed legs, nor curled toes, but one foot looks quite swollen and red in comparison to the other one. This little fellow is moving with great difficulty, using his wings and body rather than his legs. He has not yet eaten, although I have drip fed him some water.

His "good" foot/leg seems to be able to bear weight, but not his "bad" foot/leg, so when I try to prop him up, he leans/falls over to the bad side.

Is there anything I can do to encourage him to stand and get walking? I am willing to try absolutely anything, he is one of only three peachicks I managed to hatch out this season, and one of only two whites.

Grateful for any ideas, I have already tried a hobble brace (didn't work) and putting him in a very narrow box so he can't fall over, also didn't work. Haven't tried a shoe on him, as his foot, although looking swollen, isn't curled.

2. Vinnie56007

Vinnie56007 New Egg

Apr 12, 2016
    Hello, I am wondering if you had any answers to how to help your peachick? It sounds like the same thing I have going on and I am not sure what to do or exactly what it is. Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by