Peachicks with curled toes-what to do?

poultrylady

Songster
11 Years
Feb 12, 2008
Delano, Tn.
I had my first peachick of the year hatch out, it was stuck in the egg and I did help it out, now it has bad curled toes, it actually walks on it's Kuckles, so to speak. I am wondering what is the most humane thing to do, it does get around in the brooder right now, but I am worried when it gets bigger and heavier that it might be cruel to let it try to walk like this, should I put it down, ( I would hate to to that ) but would if it was best. Any advice would be appreciated, It is around 1 week old now.

I had my first peachick of the year hatch out, it was stuck in the egg and I did help it out, now it has bad curled toes, it actually walks on it's Kuckles, so to speak. I am wondering what is the most humane thing to do, it does get around in the brooder right now, but I am worried when it gets bigger and heavier that it might be cruel to let it try to walk like this, should I put it down, ( I would hate to to that ) but would if it was best. Any advice would be appreciated, It is around 1 week old now.

At one week of age I am not sure that you can do anything. I am told that the bones start to harden as it starts breathing air and if the shoes are not put on right away there is less chance to correct the toes. It works most of the time when caught soon enough. I have one now that is not working, but I usually have good results.

Here are a couple of pictures so you will know what to do when it happens again.

Back
Top Bottom