peacock as a indoor pet

I feed all my baby birds soft scrambled eggs , my babies also get a varity of food that i grow because they need to learn to eat a varity of food i grow for my family and them as they get all the left overs and are free range.

When i have alot of babies to feed i put feed in the tray of a full water container giving them a slurry and also stops caking but i only do this when it is real hot outside cause they will need more water then.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your answers.
I shouldn't give to my peachicks worms for the infections. That is clear. Later I will give to my chicks som egg.
Zazouse, I love your peachicks and guinea fowl, I think I will buy some eggs to incubate.
Thanks

Hey!
This weeks my peachicks grow slowly but with a lot of things lived. We went to the ravine with the ducks, geese and the 2 pheasants, It's incredible, I think pheasants love more the water than the ducks, the swim! and the don't fear of water. The peachicks ate some small fishes tht I catched for them and they love it.
My chicks want to be sailors!

The ducks don't stoped to filter everything inside the water and overcoat the green zones. And my two geese are the kings of all the walk, the only ones that don't distract and they follow me, when i'm gone, they are behind me.

Tomorrow we will go, that is the last friday, I think we will go every friday if nothing go wrong. But the geese this wednesday went with me and a friend that loves snakes....
And that is the snake we found, a natrix maura.

I bought 10 chinese geese eggs, and I have 4 that are fertile sure, but the others I don't know why died...3 aren't fertiles... I don't want to have 3 goslings like the last time, They will make me remember my 3 girls...
I went with my 2 geese to the house of my friend, they swimmed and dived with us, It was relly excithing and they loved my babies.
And that is all we did.....

Thanks

Hey!
This weeks my peachicks grow slowly but with a lot of things lived. We went to the ravine with the ducks, geese and the 2 pheasants, It's incredible, I think pheasants love more the water than the ducks, the swim! and the don't fear of water. The peachicks ate some small fishes tht I catched for them and they love it.
My chicks want to be sailors!

The ducks don't stoped to filter everything inside the water and overcoat the green zones. And my two geese are the kings of all the walk, the only ones that don't distract and they follow me, when i'm gone, they are behind me.

Tomorrow we will go, that is the last friday, I think we will go every friday if nothing go wrong. But the geese this wednesday went with me and a friend that loves snakes....
And that is the snake we found, a natrix maura.

I bought 10 chinese geese eggs, and I have 4 that are fertile sure, but the others I don't know why died...3 aren't fertiles... I don't want to have 3 goslings like the last time, They will make me remember my 3 girls...
I went with my 2 geese to the house of my friend, they swimmed and dived with us, It was relly excithing and they loved my babies.
And that is all we did.....

Thanks

Looks lovely Muus, good job! How old are your Peas now?

Hi, from QLD Australia. I have peacock eggs under a chicken due to come out in 3 days. The nesting box is in my laundry as I have predators like feral cats, a large bobtail lizard, probably a goanna and crows. I have a very large chook yard with 6ft netting but no top netting. Ive seen feral cats climbing the outside posts but have since attached umbrella like wire drooping over the outside to hinder them climbing in. There is a large gum tree growing in the pen and Ive seen the Bobtail only twice, I think it retreats to the tree between feasting on my chicken eggs. When my 4 peacock eggs became 3, I moved the nesting box indoors. There are some very cheeky crows that I temporarily slowed down by hanging shade cloth over the opening of their shelter but a recent huge wind ripped it in pieces. On top of those obstacles, this is snake country, thankfully I have not seen any for 2 years.
Id appreciate any advice for dealing with these predators, collecting my chicken eggs before the predators eat them and caring for my up coming peacock/hen babies. I have a serious knee injury and get to the pen asap when I hear my hens cackling after laying but so many times there is no egg in sight. I already have fake eggs planted in the boxes. Also finances is an issue, I can not just cover the entire chook yard with netting. Thank you for any advice

Hello! and

I recommend that you start a new thread with your questions - more people will see it and be able to give you advice!
big_smile.png

How big is your fenced yard? Maybe someone here will be able to suggest a less expensive way of enclosing it, which will probably be your best bet.

Thank you. My Internet is really slow but Im trying to be patient with the pages loading, and sometimes forget what my question was. lol
I'll copy and paste to a new thread as soon as I can.
My chook yard is a little over 17 square meters which converts to about 183 square feet.
Thank you for your reply :)

If you're still wondering about indoor peafowl, I will say that I've kept a couple indoors until a couple months old, and had a yearling indoors after surgery (with a diaper). Blue Creek Farm is correct in that they have REALLY BIG and REALLY SMELLY poops when they get bigger than a couple of months, so you would have to change any diaper lining at least twice a day, if not three or four times a day to keep it from getting too messy or smelly. The diaper I used for Blu after surgery was from chickendiapers.com, and was lined with modified ziploc baggies.

The worst thing about the diapers is that unless your bird is incredibly calm, they are really difficult to put on so that they fit snugly enough to work right. Blu was indoors for three weeks and the first week there were a lot of accidents as I tried to figure out how best to quickly get the diaper on when changing the liners. His feathers were already kind of a mess from being in a cage while awaiting surgery, but the diaper did not make it any better in that regard. I was keeping his wings clipped anyway so that he did not careen around the room knocking things over, but you would also most likely need to keep a peacock's wings clipped in order to quickly apply the diaper.

Where Blu struggled very wildly to get away from me putting on the diaper, Gizmo seems to have no problems (Although I modified his so it FITS better, so that may be some of it). His diaper doesn't interfere with his wings at all, but I haven't seen him display while wearing it yet and suspect it would interfere. He's also still a baby (only 4 months).

There is no leashing even the tamest peafowl, trust me on this one. Not even snugglypants Gizmo, my current imprint project, will take a leash. However, where as my first imprint project was very eager to fly around and out of reach and explore the moment she was outdoors, Gizmo appears more interested in hanging out with people. When I take him outside, he tends to wander around checking on whatever I'm doing, saying hello to the new people, watching the turkeys be turkeys, taking sand baths. He doesn't fly. I suspect he believes he is actually a cat.

Minx spoke about where your bird would sleep at night indoors; for a while, Gizmo was sleeping on my chest or my hip at night (or when he was extra snuggly he would scream until I let him under the covers to cuddle). Currently we have a very tall bookshelf that we've applied a thick carpet to, and Gizmo has taken to sleeping up there at night instead and that's a lot better (and something I would change if I were doing this again, earlier training on sleeping on a perch).

In the long run, Gizmo will end up outdoors (free range if he doesn't bother the neighbors). The reason he's still inside is because our winter got very cold very fast, before he was old enough to overwinter outdoors, and my indoor pen was a little crowded because we didn't get to finish the new outdoor pen (story of my life on the BUSY front). Everyone else is absolutely right about the noise level- once they lose their "baby" voices and start getting their big bird voices, your ears will literally ring any time they call because it's so loud.

As much as I would love to have a permanently indoor pea (and have experimented extensively with the idea), I'm going to join in on the "keep them outdoors as adults" train here.

Wow! Thank you for posting your experience in keeping a Peafowl indoors. I am very inspired!

Back
Top Bottom