Peacock fertilized eggs

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by fergyc2l2t316, Dec 3, 2014.

1. fergyc2l2t316

fergyc2l2t316 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2014
    Las Vegas, NV
    Does anyone know where I can get fertilized peacock eggs at a reasonable price? I just can't see paying $75 plus for one egg without any guarantees.
    Please let me know.

Thanks bunches[​IMG]

2. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    Hmm...well it's really not egg time yet. [​IMG] And, are you looking for something really fancy?

FYI, from the Peafowl Stickies:
    "Your best bet for easily finding hatching eggs is between March and August on eBay, eggbid, or contacting known breeders to try to work out a deal. I have seen peafowl eggs for sale with prices anywhere between $5 and $25 apiece, depending on the breed."

Some peapeople seem to have luck looking for eggs on their local craigslist (at the appropriate time of the year). But I'm sure some experienced pea-hatchers will hop in here to give you advice!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  3. Garden Peas

Garden Peas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2014
    If you want "guarantees," then buy chicks or older birds. Hatching peas is not quite as easy as hatching chickens, and things can happen during shipment that are beyond anyone's control. I've bought hatching eggs, but can't imagine expecting the seller to guarantee the eggs would hatch after they've been run through the post office shipping system and then I've had them in my own incubator, however imprecise and unpredictable for 28 days. I'm grateful when the eggs get here in one piece with air sacs intact -- which doesn't necessarily happen even with the best packaging, and who know's what else the post office did to them on the way? Eggs aren't intended to be tossed around...

If you are set on eggs, you can probably find India Blue eggs for quite a bit less, come hatching season in the spring. The ones I've seen for those kind of prices are usually for eggs that are from less readily available colors. But for that price, you can probably just buy chicks that someone else hatched.

Good luck! Hope you find what you are looking for.

4. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    [​IMG]
    Wished you lived closer i have a trios for sale ,

5. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

Really? and where does @fergyc2l2t316 live? [​IMG] I bet there is a lot of us here who could help him/her out if only we knew...

6. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    From what I'm seeing at the bottom of her post it looks like Las Vegas. [​IMG]

7. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]You're good.

8. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Gee, I couldn't even give away my eggs locally this fall. I didn't advertise because I didn't think they were fertile. Hens laid clear til September 20, what is with that!!!
    My hen sat on 8 eggs and she hatched 1, and all the rest but 1 hatched under a silkie.

9. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    How old was your hen when she layed?
    what do you feed them?
    are they in a pen? with other birds? or are they free ranged?
    how often do you worm your peas and what do you use?
    IMO 8 eggs is alot for one hen to cover, not sayen they can't but mine generally set on 4 to 5 and at the end of the hatch a hen can loose a good bit of weight if she does not come off the nest enough to keep her weight up making it difficult to cover a large clutch [​IMG]

Glad you have joined us please share some photos of your pretty's in the show off your peas section and..........
    [​IMG]

10. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    I'm some what close to you I'm in ID. I don't have eggs or chicks yet and I only have Indian Blues breeding right now. I'm trying to get Black Shoulders and Whites. PM me for more info if you wish.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by