Peacock limping with swollen leg joint

AB03Sam

Songster
5 Years
Dec 30, 2018
Alberta, Canada
A few days ago my 4 year old peacock got injured. I found him on the floor in my adult peacock building. His head was scraped and bloody, his wings were kind of spread out. When I got him to walk he was wobbly and had very poor coordination. He also seemed to be limping. This bird hit his head before and required medication to bring down the swelling in his head. It appeared to me that he hit his head again and I gave him dexamethasone to help with any swelling. I also moved him into a warmer building with my juvenile birds. He appeared a lot better the next day and even managed to get on the roost that’s just off the ground. My concern is that he is still limping on one leg. The joint is swollen and warm. Should I be giving him something for pain or for the swelling in the joint? Or does he just need time to recover? Thanks for any suggestions and advice.

A few days ago my 4 year old peacock got injured. I found him on the floor in my adult peacock building. His head was scraped and bloody, his wings were kind of spread out. When I got him to walk he was wobbly and had very poor coordination. He also seemed to be limping. This bird hit his head before and required medication to bring down the swelling in his head. It appeared to me that he hit his head again and I gave him dexamethasone to help with any swelling. I also moved him into a warmer building with my juvenile birds. He appeared a lot better the next day and even managed to get on the roost that’s just off the ground. My concern is that he is still limping on one leg. The joint is swollen and warm. Should I be giving him something for pain or for the swelling in the joint? Or does he just need time to recover? Thanks for any suggestions and advice.
i"m a homeopath you could try the remedy Rhut grav. if you have trouble getting it let me know. Just put 3 pellet is a small bowl of water and let him drink it. Try to get at least a 30C potency, if not a 200C.

Can you post pictures of the joint and a video of him walking?
324FCC4E-7D2F-4D87-B354-47BFFB413D1A.jpeg

I know it’s not a good picture. I was trying to hold him and take the picture. I’ll go outside and try to get a video.

I think the angle makes it look more swollen. I’m trying to figure out how to post a video. Yes, I can take him to the vet if necessary. The farm vet we use doesn’t specialize in birds, but he always tries to help me out. Doesn’t help that it’s dark out. t
2FC3C965-5A11-42D1-9F81-B219D6B5D3A9.jpeg

Maybe an X-ray would be appropriate , while you are there ask for Loxicam, it is a great pain reliever and will help with reducing the swelling. If you have any childrens liquid aspirin you could give him o.5ml for the pain.
I better phone the vet tomorrow and see if they can have a look at him. I found something called meloxicam oral suspension USP in the cow medicine drawer. Would it be the same as Loxicam?

Back
Top Bottom