Peacock x Chicken hybrid.

I learned something new too- had seen only that old picture for years, was starting to get skeptical, especially after guinea peafowl hybrid pictures are rather easily available.....

A person I sold peafowl to said the peacocks in her flock regularly breed their chickens(apparently successfully- vents meeting, visible sperm deposition and all that) but they also have roosters. To date no obvious hybrids have hatched though.

Your comment also made me think after answering, it would be interesting to know if it fanned at all? Fanning is not always a sexual thing in peafowl(peachicks also start fanning just 24 hours old...) so it wouldn't require breeding 'condition' for the hybrids to do it if they have any genetic/instinct inclination to.

I learned something new too- had seen only that old picture for years, was starting to get skeptical, especially after guinea peafowl hybrid pictures are rather easily available.....  

A person I sold peafowl to said the peacocks in her flock regularly breed their chickens(apparently successfully- vents meeting, visible sperm deposition and all that) but they also have roosters. To date no obvious hybrids have hatched though.

Your comment also made me think after answering, it would be interesting to know if it fanned at all?   Fanning is not always a sexual thing in peafowl(peachicks also start fanning just 24 hours old...) so it wouldn't require breeding 'condition' for the hybrids to do it if they have any genetic/instinct inclination to.

Good question. I will email her and ask - let me know if you have any more questions, I don't think she'd mind answering them :)

Interesting that no hybrids have hatched from that other person. Although I'm not surprised, with only being able to find one recorded instance of a peacock x chicken...I would think that while it'd be rare for a peacock to mate with a chicken, it'd be even more rare for one to produce viable offspring...And even MORE rare for the offspring to live long, as I've read somewhere that hybrid birds are prone to health problems.

Last edited:
OK, now that is just a cool looking bird. What's it's height and weight, and does it make any vocalizations?

Unfortunately, I don't think she can provide height or weight. She told me that the bird is too skittish to allow people close to it. But I can ask about the vocalization!

"They're seeing blue on her neck but the color is all reddish brown and dark brown.  She only has two colors to her, white and brown.  She does not put her tail up at all."

Regarding the sounds Twisted Sister makes:

"It is so hard to describe the sounds that come out of her beak!!! I'd say it's a cross between a squawk and a honk. It's a deep sound, to me it sounds like a rusty door of a old car being wrenched open! It is really weird! My husband says it's more like a weird crow. Maybe she is a male???? Peacocks honk, especially when they're excited or worried and they also yell "help". We had Peacocks on a 3/4 acre parcel when I was in my twenties and at 2 in the morning, the police came to my door because they thought they heard someone yell for help. I had to tell them it was the peacocks!!!! Chickens squawk when they are excited. Twisted Sister puts all of those sounds together!!"

WOWWWW!! This is a very rare picture indeed! I have only ever seen the old pic and I have searched and searched the net! I have a pied peacock and a malay hen who I am sure are going to breed this coming season. This is really incredible! There is no doubt that is a hybrid! So great there is a recent clear colour pic of this hybrid! Who knows they may breed some more! Did they mention wether the chicks were strong or weak?

Back
Top Bottom