Peafoul temperment??

Just don't get Green peafowl or Spauldings and you shouldn't have to worry about temperment. I am sure it depends on the bird, but all of mine are really nice and gentle when they eat out of my hand. Although when I went to the Big Cat Rescue, which has free-range peafowl, I was taking a picture of one of there peacocks and one of the zookeepers warned me not to get down to their level because they would attack! I am not so sure about that they seemed a lot more afraid to get too close to people than to run up and attack someone. A lot of them don't seem to have the guts to attack people. The only problem you might have is if you raise a male from a chick and baby him too much, then he might be so unafraid of you that he might attack you when he gets older. That happened to this one person who would hold their peacock a lot and baby him and when he got older he would attack them every time they went into the pen until they grabed him, held him, then he would calm down. Chances are though you will get really nice birds, most of them are pretty nice. Just make sure you keep them penned for a while like a few months then free-range them so they get used to your property otherwise they could take off and never come back.
wink.png

Our India Blue's are very calm natured. This guy wants to come in and watch TV. lol

11-10MrP2.jpg

Our White and Spaulding are flighty and standoffish but not agressive. Like any other bird it all depends on how much you work with them.

Steve

i'm a firm believer in bribing with treats. I will be getting my first hatching eggs this spring, and i cant wait. From what the breeders have said, its all about food! give them treats from your hand!
Sib
wink.png

hi, first of all,you can not take the overall version of what people say!
i am new to peafowl,but see a trend in the site!!
i had raccoons ,as pets,and all,sites/peoples coments,said,that they were nasty,aggresive,etc.
i knew this,going in,but thought i was "the one",who could tame them!!
well,i did,the male i had,was SOOOOO sweet!!
going back to our subject!!
breeding/crosses,etc,in my opinion,make NO difference!!
its the individual bird!!!
i have had 3 peacocks,since day 2!
1 flew off,but the 2 that remain,are stuck like glue!!!!!!
they never roam[free range],more than 3 feet from each other,or their surroundings!!
the most tame,a spaulding,lets me pick him up,kiss him,with no problem!!,the IB,which was raissed is the same,will not let me near him!!!
gaza

My peas would rather avoid me than come at me. I have 2 younger males that will perch on my arm if its dark and they need to be moved into the coop. The rest hate to be handled. We have had only one get nasty, but it was the middle of the night after an owl tried to kill her and knocked her out of a tree. A net worked much better that night. Have fun!

I had 2 females and a male a few years ago. The girls wanted nothing to do with me, but the male was just the opposite. I let them loose in the yard during the day. One day I was in at the computer and heard something behind me. The male had come inside to visit. I didn't have a screen door at the time. He hung out for a while and then headed back out to check on the ladies.

Back
Top Bottom