Peafowl Egg Hatched By Muscovy

A peafowl can not live with a duck IMO. Very different birds, different size, different food, different needs ie peacocks need high perches not pools. You could sell it (good luck with that as they are so darn cute) or find it a peafowl buddy. If you plan to keep it do lots of research first.
OK thank you so much for the advice. We also have a couple of chickens and a large garden with places to perch and a large and secure open air enclosure for them at night but it does concern me that they will be the only one. I will look for a home for them if they struggle to settle in :)..... or get another peacock haha

IMO birds are flock animals and need to live with others of its kind.
Your profile doesn't not say where you live so I don't know what your weather conditions are. Where I am, we have long winters with lots of snow, and long periods of very cold.
The peacocks do amazingly well in the winter, but in addition to a large outdoor secure run, they have a large area of the barn they can access to be out of the wind.
I suggest you look at some the experts on the peafowl thread to get an idea of their beautiful set-ups.
Your peachick will have different feed needs when it hatches. Again the peafowl thread is an amazing resource.
Please don't think I am trying to discourage you, I just want you and your possible peachick to have the best chance for a great life.

IMO birds are flock animals and need to live with others of its kind.
Your profile doesn't not say where you live so I don't know what your weather conditions are. Where I am, we have long winters with lots of snow, and long periods of very cold.
The peacocks do amazingly well in the winter, but in addition to a large outdoor secure run, they have a large area of the barn they can access to be out of the wind.
I suggest you look at some the experts on the peafowl thread to get an idea of their beautiful set-ups.
Your peachick will have different feed needs when it hatches. Again the peafowl thread is an amazing resource.
Please don't think I am trying to discourage you, I just want you and your possible peachick to have the best chance for a great life.

Thank you, I'm hoping to find another peachick to keep it company when it hatches. I live in the UK and we have a garden which is roughly an acre with plenty of trees and no immediate neighbours. I'm thinking of letting them free range 24/7 year round as the aviary would be too cramped for them all. We do have a large outbuilding/barn but we can't leave the doors open for them to come and go. We do have a greenhouse which isn't in use over the winter though. Would they even use a shelter if I provide one?

I may start a new thread in the peafowl section and I really do appreciate all your advice!

Back
Top Bottom