Peafowl Genetics for Dummies (in other words us)

It will also most likely have a few stray white feathers, probably around the wings and a small spot at the upper throat just below the beak. If you're looking at a hen, the stray white feathers probably won't be distinguishable from the basic female BS pattern. But if you have a male with a few white wing feathers and/or a tiny white throat patch, it's probably split to Pied (or possibly split to White).

:)

Hi, I just recently purchased two IB peafowl, I thought was a pair. The one I thought was a cock died about 2 weeks after I bought them. About a week ago. They were about two months old when I got them. The vet says it was probably stress, because she couldn't find anything else wrong with him. She said he had very weak muscles, which meant he probably hadn't been eating well. I ordered another pair, from the same place I got the first two, but until they are old enough to be on their own, the lady won't let me have them. I put two small chickens in with the one I still have, some thing to keep it company until the next two arrive, and the pea fowl started strutting around with the, what would be train feathers up, and shaking the wings like a male does when he is trying to court a female. Does this mean my female is really a male, or do hens also show this kind of behavior when protecting their territory.

Thanks, all help will be appreciated.
By the way, I live in the Philippines

Steve

@smcginnis , @new 2 pfowl and @zazouse both have great photos that show how to sex you IB's, but I can never find them!

-Kathy

Last edited:
Here are my tips for sexing peas pictures (see below).
I've also posted them at the bottom of the Chick Chart, Kathy, if you ever need them! http://peafowlimagedatabase.weebly.com/peachick-chart.html

By the way, Steve, it's really a good idea to start a new thread if you have any questions or issues, so that people can see your questions and respond.

And, by the way,

*I just saw the picture you posted - looks like a girl!

Last edited:
Hi, I just recently purchased two IB peafowl, I thought was a pair. The one I thought was a cock died about 2 weeks after I bought them. About a week ago. They were about two months old when I got them. The vet says it was probably stress, because she couldn't find anything else wrong with him. She said he had very weak muscles, which meant he probably hadn't been eating well. I ordered another pair, from the same place I got the first two, but until they are old enough to be on their own, the lady won't let me have them. I put two small chickens in with the one I still have, some thing to keep it company until the next two arrive, and the pea fowl started strutting around with the, what would be train feathers up, and shaking the wings like a male does when he is trying to court a female. Does this mean my female is really a male, or do hens also show this kind of behavior when protecting their territory.

Thanks, all help will be appreciated.
By the way, I live in the Philippines

Steve

Females will fan also, mine do it even as adults. A clearer picture would help, but from what I can see I agree with new 2, looks like a hen.
welcome-byc.gif

Thanks for all the help. It was supposed to be a hen, but when she fanned, I wasn't sure. I started to start a new thread, but I was afraid everyone would be telling me to look at previous threads, since it was probably a question that had be asked before.

Thanks again for all the help
Steve

Back
Top Bottom