Peafowl Medications

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by kuntrygirl, Jul 24, 2013.

1. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I found this article/link this morning and wanted to share with everyone. There is a printable version. I have printed it out and will place in my med book at home.

http://www.hopkinslivestock.com/Peafowl Medications.htm

1 person likes this.
  2. SunBaked

SunBaked Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Southwest
    Wow, that is an awesome list. Going to save it for future reference.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    While there is lots of good info there, there are also some errors, use with *extreme* caution.

This is an example of one error:
    "Injectable: Baytril is an intramuscular injection. Concentration is 22.7 mg/mL.
    Desired dose is 1.13 mg/lb = 0.05 cc/lb."

While Baytril does come in that strength, most of us have the 10% solution which is 100mg/ml and the desired dose, per my avian vet is 15-20mg/kg for five days, that's .15 to .2 ml per 2.2 pounds. It's also recommended that it be given subcutaneously with a bolus of fluids to reduce the chance of injection site reactions.

I think that the creator of the website just copied the info off the bottle, but I believe those bottles are labeled for cats and dogs which are dosed at a much lower rate than birds.

Please correct me if I have made any errors... Haven't had my morning caffeine yet, lol.

-Kathy

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Baytril pictures
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Here's are more examples:

"Corid. Corid is used to treat coccidiosis in peafowl.
    Mix 1 teaspoon per gallon of drinking water. Medicate birds 4 to 5 days."

It doesn't say if that's for Corid powder (20% amprolium) or Corid liquid (9.6% amprolium). I'm pretty sure that the Corid website will say use one teaspoon (5ml) per gallon of the liquid, but for some reason I have written on my bottle to use 9.5ml (2 teaspoons), so I need to look into that. If one has the powder, one teaspoon is probably way too much.

"Flagel Flagel is used to treat Blackhead in peafowl.
    Flagel has to be proscribed by a veterinarian"

True, brandname Flagyl (metronidazole) is hard to get without a prescription, but it can be purchased in 100mg tablets for pigeons and 250mg tables for fish without one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Kathy

7. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Can Corid be administered as a shot under the skin?

No store has Fishzole around here. I really need to order that.

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

The Corid (amprolium) that we buy is not sterile, so I would have to say no, but maybe there is an injectable form of it? It can be given as an oral drench, directions should be on the label.

I have checked every pet and aquarium shop around and none have had Fish-Zole, which is must have for me, as is the liquid suspension... There is just no reasonable way to treat a tiny peachick with a 100mg or 250mg tablet, so I keep a bottle of the liquid just in case.

-Kathy

9. Erica Frizzles

Erica Frizzles Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2012
    Augusta, Georgia
    I Have been losing my peacocks 1by 1. I started with 13 and I'm now down to 6 and 1 is sick and likely going to die:( I think it is blackhead disease and I found this while searching for dosages. I ordered the fish zole and got the dosage from here but I just need to know how long to treat with the tablets in their water?

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    DO NOT give the tablets in water, pills must be given orally!

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by