1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Peafowl Medications

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by kuntrygirl, Jul 24, 2013.

1. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Once they poop yellow you don't have more than a few days usually, so it would be best to see a vet to get metronidazole *and* Baytril. They almost always have E. coli, and metronidazole won't treat that, you gotta have Baytril or something like Baytril. If you can't see a vet, go to petsmart or petco and get the fish antibiotics called "API General Cure". Check the back and make sure it has 250mg metronidazole and 75mg praziquantel. Then you will have to figure out how to give 1/2 a pack. Since it has praziquantel, I think you should give it just once day.

-Kathy

2. Erica Frizzles

Erica Frizzles Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2012
    Augusta, Georgia
    WhatS dOsagE for the safeguard? What would I need to feed her in tube? I've tube fed baby goats so I think I can do it

3. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    Fenbendazole doesn't treat the protozoa, metronidazole does. Something like metronidazole is *always* used when blackhead is suspected.

-Kathy

4. Erica Frizzles

Jun 2, 2012
    Augusta, Georgia
    I did see her drinking a little earlier but not eating since yesterday.

5. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

I am under the impression that all the 'zoles' did the same thing. Is the book wrong?

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    Dose to treat the cecal worm per my vet is 0.23 ml per pound once and repeat in ten days. If you want to treat capillary worms, it's for 5 days. Ignore the instruction on the bottle, they for goats, and birds, dogs and cats get 10x what goats get. Trust me, it's gotta be 0.23 ml per pound, so your 4 pounder gets 0.92ml (round up to 1 ml).

-Kathy

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  8. Erica Frizzles

Jun 2, 2012
    Augusta, Georgia
    Thanks for all the help! Hopefully I can save the others now that I think I know what's wrong. I'll go to the vet 1st thing in the morning to get the med for my sick girl.

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  10. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

Does it look like this Erica?

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by