Peahen dominating.

junglefowler

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 10, 2013
Malaysia
hey fellow bird lovers, my peacock isnt really doing his job in reproducing a next generation. Apparently the peahen it is with, is much more dominant. Is there anything i can do. Appreciate all the help i can get.m

welcome-byc.gif

How old is the peacock and how old is the peahen?

My yearling to young two year old peacocks can be dominated by peahens, but sometime when the peacock is two years old he will stand up to the dominant peahen by chasing her around the pen and maybe peck at her or kick at her a little (never hurting her) and put her in her place and then she will have respect for the peacock. From what I have seen all of my boys have been picked on by the adult peahens until they get older and then they are dominant over the peahens.

Your peacock might be too young to mate. They can mate at two years old and at three years old they will be fully mature.

hey fellow bird lovers, my peacock isnt really doing his job in reproducing a next generation. Apparently the peahen it is with, is much more dominant. Is there anything i can do. Appreciate all the help i can get.m
Don't know how old your guy is, but I had that problem when I introduced a 1.5 year old male to my older girls... they litterly "hen-pecked" him...They beat him up so badly, he had a bloody beak! So we replaced him with a 2.5 year old, and what a difference. He started fathering chicks when he was 4 and has been a toatal gentleman since.

. Thats probably the problem. Judging by the peacocks spur i roughly know its still pretty young. Will have to wait and see then..
Thanks for the advice!

. Thats probably the problem. Judging by the peacocks spur i roughly know its still pretty young. Will have to wait and see then..
Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom