Peahen eye injury (graphic pic)

FlightsofFancy

Songster
12 Years
Jan 22, 2008
Canton, GA
I am not sure if I can post this here or should I post in the sickness section...but here goes....

About 4 days ago I went out to the barn where my pair of young Peafowl live (1 male, 1 female). They were not on there and 3 Guineas and a chicken where on their roost. They have a perch up in the barn on the side where my goats live. They can come and go, but usually stay in the 1 acre fence area with the goats. On the other side of the barn I have chickens and guineas. So I can only guess that there was a property dispute and the peafowl lost. I found the male on the top of the barn and the female no where to be found. I looked all day and called her, but nothing. She turned up day before yesterday with a badly swollen eye. By this time it had crusted over. I cleaned it up and put Terramicine ointment in it. I pulled her into the garage. Is this just a big shiner or something else. BTW: no nasal discharge just lots of weaping from the one eye. What else should I do?

BTW: all guineas have been removed from my property.....TROUBLE MAKERS!!!

5919_img_1954.jpg

pardon the dirty dog kennel floor...it's been a flood here.
5919_img_1951.jpg

Last edited:
This is sinusitis if the swollen area is still soft you can treat it with tylan 200 1cc orally for 3 to 4 days or you can inject it under the skin at the base of the neck. If it is hard you will have to cut it out.

Quote:
I think you mean Tylan 50. Tylan 50 is what everyone uses on their chickens and turkeys-I can't imagine a peahen would be any different. And for a dosage, it is .27cc per lb. of bird.

Tylan 50 works! My BBW turkey was sick last fall, swollen under her eye, couldn't breathe through her nose...we gave her a shot a day for 3 days and she was back to normal!! She got sick again this spring. We gave her 1 shot and that kicked it over. I know we'll have problems with her because she wasn't fed right when she was little. We got her when the girls parents said enough is enough-get it out of the house! But point being, it sounds like your girl could use the Tylan. Use the smallest needle you can find and inject it into her left breast.

Edited to say- If you're sure it was a fight of some sort then I don't know if the Tylan 50 would help fight off an infection. But it is an antibiotic for infection.... hopefully someone else can chime in with some input.

Last edited:
Hi After looking at your pictures I am noticing that I do not see the nostril. Is it there? Is it plugged? Can you clear the nostril or is it hard? We have a peacock a yearling that was born with sinus issues and every three to four days we have to clean her nose and eye. We can take alot of gunk out of the eye, and we have to pick the surface of the nostril to get stuff off and out of it. We simply use terrayacin ointment in the nostril and in the eye. We have done tylan 200 injectables, orals and just about everything. My birds eye has never been that puffed up.

I also had a female whose eye was puffed and the nostril looked round, circular and hard, we actually had to pick the nostril with a knife and removed a blockage about the size of a pea, I then cleaned the nostril with the terramyacin and a q-tip because we live in the desert and it gets very windy and dusty it is part of our daily maintenance to always check each birds face carefully to prevent the issue getting out of hand. It was very stressing to the peacock but it did have immediate results, by the next day everything was back to normal.

Because if this is sinuistis I thought it was extremely contagious?????????? and really never goes away you just maintain it???? Asking for sure because now I am not sure.

Keep us posted and good luck.

I have seen Upper Respiratory infections in chickens, but this is not the same. It's only in the one eye and her nostrils are clean. She is not acting like she is sick (not coughing , not shaking head) and that is why I thought is was an injury.
I think the antibiotics are a good idea. I will check it out more tomorrow...I didn't want to mash on it too much because again I thought it was a contusion. Poor girl!! She is so tame now...wild when I got her...I would hate to loose her!!!!

Good luck to you! I can't wait to get a peahen and a peacock--my grandparents had them when I was young and I spent my entire summers with them...I hope she pulls through and you can find a quick solution.

Quote:
I think you mean Tylan 50. Tylan 50 is what everyone uses on their chickens and turkeys-I can't imagine a peahen would be any different. And for a dosage, it is .27cc per lb. of bird.

Tylan 50 works! My BBW turkey was sick last fall, swollen under her eye, couldn't breathe through her nose...we gave her a shot a day for 3 days and she was back to normal!! She got sick again this spring. We gave her 1 shot and that kicked it over. I know we'll have problems with her because she wasn't fed right when she was little. We got her when the girls parents said enough is enough-get it out of the house! But point being, it sounds like your girl could use the Tylan. Use the smallest needle you can find and inject it into her left breast.

Edited to say- If you're sure it was a fight of some sort then I don't know if the Tylan 50 would help fight off an infection. But it is an antibiotic for infection.... hopefully someone else can chime in with some input.

If you use Tylan 50 you might as well give them water, If you go the Tylan way use Tylan 200 it cost a little more but a lot more affective.
Use 1cc of Tylan 200 Inject under the skin at the base of the neck just above the body (wings) never inject in the breast this leaves scar tissue our worst.

Back
Top Bottom