Peahen or Peacock

This is her now

I have some pictures, but I will have to get better ones. I did send my pictures to a peafowl breeder to see if they are peach or cameo split peach. I have a cameo hen too that is a bit older than them. Your hen is way lighter so yours looks like a peach to me. This is my first with peach so I do not have enough experience yet.

Peach peafowl is a color mutation. That means that a peach tint is just added to the feathers so you can still sex them like an Indian Blue but of course there is peach and not a mix. If there is the orange of an adult male like an Indian Blue you might want to accept that it's a male. I have to Pieds that are still young. The male is 5 months while the female is 4 months. Barring on the secondary wing feathers might not appear as bold until 7 months. Right now not sure why but both of my Pied peafowl are molting. The male is begging to get barring while the female still has some but it's fading. If you try to sex peafowl by the secondary wing feathers you're most likely going to be wrong because the secondary feathers change. The primary feathers remain the same through their entire life. With Pied peafowl it can be tricky if there is white on the same feather making darker feathers brighter making it look like a male.

Krisrunsafowl - your bird looks male to me, first photo showed a lot of barring on the wing and rump area as well as a slight darkening along the entire neck, on the last photo, you can see some more barring on the wing feathers above his leg.

Birdrain92 - peach is not actually a completely separate colour mutation, but it is a combination of two different colour mutations - the first of several colour combos produced to date. Not trying to rip on you, just trying to educate the masses
wink.png

I know of the birds Blue Creek has, and have come to the conclusion that they are likely peach. I recently visited the breeder they came from, and through deduction of what he had left, we were able to determine that they are indeed peach. Since a hen cannot be split to a sex-linked colour, and the male and female both are the same colour, but are not the same as the cameo hens he had in with them, they must be peach. The only other way to tell is to breed the male to an indian blue hen, not the peach hen. This will tell the breeder if the male is cameo split peach or just peach. If split to peach, the breeder will get both peach and cameo female offspring. If it is straight peach, only peach hens will be produced. I have a peach pied (possibly w/e) male I hope to use next year that I am going to use this test on. He is of the same bloodlines as the birds owned by BLue Creek.

I've also heard that there may be more than one variation to the depth of colour in peach - a dark peach, and a light peach. The theory behind the dark peach is that it may be a cameo split peach. The bird I own is of the dark peach colouring, but he is very orange in the wing area, and side by side with my cameo male, he is definitely not cameo. Personally, I would rather have the light peach, but this is what I have to work with.

Last edited:
Boy these new similar colors that people have little experience with can cause great confusion. While I am not going to be the one that says it is conclusive, I think it is generally believed that Peach is a mutation. In other words, you just cannot make peach. It is true that it is believed peach was created by combining cameo and purple, but you just cannot breed the two together to get peach. It most likely occurred by crossover or whatever you want to call it which has previously been discussed on this forum.

Think about this. Can there really be a peach split to any other color if peach is not a mutation by crossover? Calling Aqua Eyes, Calling Aqua Eyes, Code Blue in the peafowl forum. Can peach even be split to another color or another sex link color? Can cameo or puprple be split to another color or sex link color?

What happens if you breed a cameo cock to an IB hen? You don't get any Cameo cocks. We know the same is true of purple. Thus we know that both Z chromosomes MUST carry the cameo or purple marker to get the color. The same would be true for a "peach" marker right? It is sex linked right?

Lets assume the above is true. What happens if you have the peach mutation on one Z and a cameo marker on the other Z. What does that bird look like? What do you get if you cross this bird with a cameo hen? What do you get if you cross it with an IB hen? What happens when you cross it with a peach hen?

.......and then maybe I just have had to much to drink. Someone figure out if this is correct!

(edited 13 times due to alcohol consumption. This will be fun to read tomorrow.)

Last edited:
I was saying, in itself, peach was not a separate colour mutation such as bronze, charcoal, etc. It occurred at more than one time in separate ends of the country, with the first as a result of breeding an original mutant purple bird to an IB male split cameo and purple. I agree that its not as simple as breeding cameo to purple, and it may be that as Rosa (aquaeyes) had said, that it is the result of crossover. However, a peach hen can be split to any number of non-sex-linked colours, just as purple and cameo can be (I have hens in cameo and purple that are split to other colours). My main argument here was that if you breed a peach male to a purple or cameo hen, you can produce male offspring that are not peach, but purple or cameo (that end up split to peach). If you produce male offspring of cameo or purple, then this shows that it is still based in combination, not a separate colour mutation. Sorry to divert this thread....

Last edited:
I trust you know more on peach peafowl than I do it's just that when I was researching mutations in peafowl a color mutation is when the colors are changed but the pattern remains the same while pattern mutation is when patterns are changed. Which photos of adult peach peafowl I've seen seem like they are a color mutation and some people say they are but I don't know how they came to be. This is the photo of the peach peafowl I found. I wish it would give me a better shot of the wing feathers. I can kind of see it but yet I can't but from what I can see it looks as if the dark and light on the 2 peafowl the male has a brighter color than the female does. The way I discovered on how to sex peachicks at a very young age or any age is by the primary wing feathers. Except when it's white primary wing feathers that doesn't work so well.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom