Peanut’s Adopt-An-Egg Hatch-A-Long

Pics
Thank you. I still miss him a lot, but Noodles has definitely helped me through it, my little mental health chicken. :hugs

Kiwi it is then, @All4Eggz
Great! Love the name!
Thought I’d mention again that most of the chicks are not for us, so the names might not stick forever (with the new owners), but for the time being, they’ll definitely have those names! And I’ll be sure to let the new owners know their names if they decide maybe to keep the names!

Great! Love the name!
Thought I’d mention again that most of the chicks are not for us, so the names might not stick forever (with the new owners), but for the time being, they’ll definitely have those names! And I’ll be sure to let the new owners know their names if they decide maybe to keep the names!
That's okay

Number 15 please. Thank you.
You got it!

- - -
Peanut has attempted to abandon the egg and leave the nest altogether multiple times, as she wanted to run around with the chicks. After realizing the chicks are not ready to run around and explore, (they refused to leave the nest and chirped for the mama to come back) she came back to the nest and sat back on the egg.

I’m thinking her motherly instincts are telling her the egg is dead, but who knows. :idunno
Tomorrow morning I’m going to discard the egg if there are no signs of life.

Last edited:
I made the decision to break open the final egg just now…
8B7AE7F2-737D-4B07-AD9E-BE6170DE4E24.jpeg

C5BFA9A2-CC61-4FBB-BB72-7AD9D226AD81.jpeg

Looks like the embryo died very early on. ):
Also looks like Peanut was right when she wanted to abandon the egg!

Tomorrow I’m hoping to let the chicks and Peanut run around in one of our spare cages outside!

I’ll reserve you an egg for the next hatch along, since yours is the only one that didn’t hatch this time (I’ll give it until tomorrow to hatch though!)

I know you haven’t seen the eggs yet, nor have I, but what number would you like 1-15 (there may not even be 15 eggs, maybe closer to 12. depending on how many fit under her). I don’t know when you are on BYC so I just want to make sure you don’t miss it. You don’t have to say a number now if you don’t want to though.
Unfortunately, the broody I was planning to hatch with stopped being broody. Going to have to wait for another one to become broody. I'll let y'all know when!

Edit. Both of you (@Dr Evy and @Buckingham Palace) will still have your eggs reserved though!

Last edited:
@PippinTheChicken - not sure if I mentioned this before, but one thing that’s really cool about your chick is that one foot has 5 toes and the other has 6 TOES!!

View attachment 3117236View attachment 3117237View attachment 3117238
Is this going to be a problem? What caused this?
I personally think it’s really cool!
Not an issue. Just a result from polydactly. Occasionally you'll get more then 5 toes per foot. Just can't be shown at shows.

One of my chicks has 6 toes per foot.

Back
Top Bottom