Pearl & Daisy

Oh, and if anyone has any recommendations for products that will stop bleeding?

Quik Stop or another styptic powder is generally what I would recommend, although my avian vet did suggest (and actually use) superglue on a beak injury. A cockatiel at the store somehow broke the tiniest tip of his beak off and he bled like a stuck pig. Of course it was the weekend and he was closed but we called him up at home and he told us to wrap him up in a towel and apply superglue to the tip of the beak after wiping it as clean as we could. The bleeding stopped and once the glue came off it was all healed up.

Quik Stop or another styptic powder is generally what I would recommend, although my avian vet did suggest (and actually use) superglue on a beak injury. A cockatiel at the store somehow broke the tiniest tip of his beak off and he bled like a stuck pig. Of course it was the weekend and he was closed but we called him up at home and he told us to wrap him up in a towel and apply superglue to the tip of the beak after wiping it as clean as we could. The bleeding stopped and once the glue came off it was all healed up.

This is very helpful, thanks! I did wonder what vets use to treat beak wounds - it's such a tricky place to bandage, and technically a head wound, so of course it bleeds like crazy. I'll be stocking my vet box with a couple of blood clotting products, and a bottle of superglue, just to be safe.

Some updates! Good ones, thankfully.

IMG_3654.JPG

Here is a (weirdly focused, sorry!) updated picture of Pearl - you can see how short his top beak is now. But it's healing well, and he's back to his regular activities of grazing, digging in the mud, and sticking up for himself when Daisy thinks he shouldn't be allowed in "her" pool (we have two separate pools - she thinks both belong to her).

IMG_3651.JPG

And the two of them, playing with their favorite toy (an old shoe.) As you can see, molting is Still Happening. I'm surprised they're not bald by now.

IMG_3679.JPG

They also have a 'proper' coop now! This thing kicked my butt. Nice, though - they have plenty of space to walk around, and I have head space to go in and clean. The inside is lined with a cut-up pool liner to prevent predators from entering & them from chewing on the wood, and the front & back open panels are fenced. Still need to build a better door - they'll chew that one to pieces eventually - but for right now, it's set up for winter, which is one less worry on my mind.

So all in all: things are well here! And I'm hoping the transition from summer to fall to winter will go smoothly.

Not your eyes, Miss Lydia. :) The back is fenced with black wire, hard to see - and in the front, the tarp comes all the way down and buttons (hence the clamp, holding it up). Before winter comes I plan on all hw cloth - just gotta figure out how to frame it in the front, so I hopefully don't have to duck to get into it.

Back
Top Bottom