Pearl & Daisy

@Miss Lydia They didn't mind it! They were VERY skeptical when I first let them out of the barn, but soon enough they were plodding along, trying to eat out of the few patches of grass sticking through. :p Silly birds.

You can certainly have it!! In all the time I've lived here, I've never experienced snow in September. Very bizarre.

Oh, my babies aren't so baby anymore!

I let the geese out of the barn this morning, and Daisy was supremely grouchy. Biting my shoes, my pajamas, my coat - then me, when I tried to gently push her away. She got the rooster treatment of being picked up & cuddled, and when I finally put her back down, she had a slightly better attitude.

(Maybe she's the gander. :confused: I'm having my suspicions!)

Then when that was sorted out ..... they both got into one of their 15 gallon tubs and tried to figure the whole mating thing out. :lau Not very successfully! But they didn't seem to be hurting each other, so I left them to it.

@Miss Lydia a question - I've read that geese, unlike ducks, only mate when they're laying age ..... but they shouldn't start laying until next spring, right? I only got them a day before June, so they're only around four & a half months old.

@Miss Lydia The hormonal aggression will chill out eventually ...... right? This little goose is so angry with me right now. Daisy is getting better about not biting (he has good days & bad days) but even so, will stand right next to me and quiver with pent up rage. :rolleyes: I miss my sweet little goose!

Pearl, meanwhile, is as sweet as ever.

It will chill around May 2020 :lau It’s a long mating process. Make sure to discipline Daisy every time he bites as soon as Sam bites me I get him down on the ground belly first hold head so they can’t turn around an bite usually that holds for a while then he forgets and we start over. They can sure be a handful.​

Gotta love them for sure. You know I am in love with my geese even during the ornery times just to see the loyalty they have for each other and how Sam is so protective. Then when goslings come along to watch how they are with them it just melts the heart. No more gosling here but Missy would never admit it but she has a soft spot for the Runners. :loveYes they can sure try the patience of their owners but that's why anyone wanting geese needs to go into this with their eyes open and lots of research because if you want them it's such a huge commitment they live a long time. Sam is going on 13 and he hasn't slowed down one bit. So I guess he is middle age now if they can live up to 20-40 yrs. He's just as ornery as ever.

Ornery little bird is a good name :lol:

Gotta love them for sure. You know I am in love with my geese even during the ornery times just to see the loyalty they have for each other and how Sam is so protective. Then when goslings come along to watch how they are with them it just melts the heart. No more gosling here but Missy would never admit it but she has a soft spot for the Runners. :loveYes they can sure try the patience of their owners but that's why anyone wanting geese needs to go into this with their eyes open and lots of research because if you want them it's such a huge commitment they live a long time. Sam is going on 13 and he hasn't slowed down one bit. So I guess he is middle age now if they can live up to 20-40 yrs. He's just as ornery as ever.

Ornery little bird is a good name :lol:

Absolutely!! I knew going into it (especially with feed store goslings, straight run) that I could end up with a gander ..... or two ganders. So when he's trying my patience, I remember that I signed up for this, and now I have to deal with it!

At least he's pretty. :p

Aw! I love hearing about your pair. :love Missy likes your Runner ducks - that's so cute!

Back
Top Bottom