Pecked, 3Xs!

monaname

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 20, 2011
MA
So, I am anxiously waiting the first eggs from my BPR hens any day now. They were hatched June 6th, 2011. Their combs and wattles are in various degrees of maturity, which is kind of weird since they were all hatched on the same day....but anyway. So, there I was, in the yard, in shorts since it was so nice out, and I went to see what that weird noise coming from one of the hens was....I thought, could this be one of the girls laying an egg?! I've never raised chickens before, so all of this is new to me. When I walked over to her, she seemed really aloof and when I reached out to touch her, she pecked at my wedding ring and actually cut me a little. I was pretty surprised. So, then I walked over to the rest of the girls and the cockerel casually came over to me and then pecked at my calf! He pinched me so hard that he drew a little blood too. WHAT GIVES?! And then, when all the girls and boy were in the coop for the night, I went to give them fresh water...One of the hens pecked my head from her roost!!!! I was under the impression that BPR were suppose to be docile. What gives? Are they all just being punky tweens?

I can't speak for the rooster and the one that pecked you from the roost, but it's really predictable that they will peck at your ring or other shiny things, just because it is shiny.

Yes all of my chickens peck at anything shiny! Its actually pretty funny!
lol.png

I have two that will 'peck at my head' but not hard enough to draw blood. I think they are just including me in their flock and picking at my hair like they pick things off each others feathers and try to groom. ????
hu.gif
either that or i am just to nieve and stupid to think my girls would not like me and hurt me!!!!!
big_smile.png

Thanks for the feedback! Let's hope that this is just a phase and once they start laying, all will be calm and peaceful.

Quote:
You never know...If it were a tick or something, then I'm grateful. Otherwise, yikes. I should wear a helmet.

My chores around the coop have been peck free these last couple of days, so maybe the worst is over......

A couple of days ago my Silkie rooster bit my face. Of course, I should have seen it coming, he was starting to posture a little, getting cocky, but when he came strolling over I thought he needed a hug--nope!!
lol.png
What a brat!! LOL! He was the favorite too.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom