Pecked eye

Drivegirl54

Songster
10 Years
Mar 10, 2009
Winder, GA
I couldn't find this anywhere else..

My 5 week old buff orp keeps getting pecked in the eye by the other girls. I'm going tomorrow to get some terrimycin for her but until then what can I do? She's not opening it and when she does, it's super watery and looks awful.
Poor baby

We're brand new to this, as in not even had them a week. Appreciate any advice. Thanks!

First thing to do (if you haven't already) would be to seperate it from the others, put it in a warm, dark place, maybe a dog crate.

Not a lot you can do to ease the pain except dissolve aspirin in water for it to drink.

I can't remember the dosage, but you can use the search function to find it.

Quote:
yes, the most important first step is to immediatly seperate the injured hen from the rest of teh flock. Chickens will relentlessly peck at any abnormality. And if blood should start its a whole new party! seperate her and then give her comfort and relaxation, she will most likely be fine.

I should have seperated her last night when I noticed it but at the time we didn't think it was the others. She is now away from them and I'm looking around the house for some aspirin. I feel so bad.
Thanks so much

Back
Top Bottom