Pecked in the eye by a chicken??

I know this is an old post, but that's exactly what happened to me today! Awe. what a sweet boy. then wham! Definitely.not so cute anymore! I'm glad this thread is here, I feel a lot better. Thanks y'all.
I know this is an old post but this is exactly what happened to me today. My chicks always sit on my shoulders. They walk back and forth between them. Well today one got me right in the eyeball. Man that hurts, I hope it is better tomorrow. Its not scratched I think irritated

I know this is an old post but this is exactly what happened to me today. My chicks always sit on my shoulders. They walk back and forth between them. Well today one got me right in the eyeball. Man that hurts, I hope it is better tomorrow. Its not scratched I think irritated
I got pecked in the eye for the second time in the 5 years I've had chickens.
Both times I had to flush with water for 15 minutes.
My eye was sore for 3 days.
The last time I got pecked in the corner of my pupil.
Months later I still see a spot in the upper right corner when looking in that direction.
I'm thinking it's permanent. GC

Months later I still see a spot in the upper right corner when looking in that direction.

It is very painful flushing it. I've done its 5 times I think I'll stop for now. I hope it is better tomorrow. Thx fir the info, it sounds like your might be permanent. Sry.

So in the morning I went to go check on my baby chicks and one of them caught my eye because it was being adorable so I decided to hold it. Little did I know it was staring at my eye and I just looked away for a second in a pecked my eyeball. I dropped that baby chick and ran for my life and eye ball. Now all I can see from that eye is blurriness. I will go to the doctor tomorrow just to make sure everything is ok. WARNING don’t look away for a second when holding a chicken or chick when in eye level.

Add me to the "pecked in the eyeball" club. Fortunately my blink reflex was on point and I got an eyelid down before the peck happened. It still hurt!

I'm brand new to chickens (we've had ours since August), and I've never been around any kind of birds before at all. It never occurred to me that chickens (or birds) who appeared to be friendly would intentionally try to peck your eyeball! Do they peck each other in the eye?

So far, things that the beginners books and blogs and youtube videos don't warn you about that I've learned the hard way:

1. Cecal poop
2. Chickens WILL try to peck you in the face--particularly eyeballs and teeth.

Anything else I should know about?

Back
Top Bottom