Pecked neck of 3 week old light brahma...

HanaleeFarms

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 9, 2011
Hello! A big surprise tonight when I went to change the water for my 21 various 3 week old chicks... one had it's neck feathers all gone and was bloody. Obviously, I assume she is at the bottom of the 'pecking' order, but she has about a quarter sized area on the front of her neck where she has been pecked. I separated her, and another, an ancona, who had just a little spot, pin sized blood drop, on her wing. I cleaned them both off, put antibiotic ointment on the wounds, and have placed them in their own, separate little brooders with water and food.

Is there anything else I should do?
Is there anything I can do to prevent this?
How long should I keep them separated?

They are in a brooder, 4x4. We are working on completing their house and run outside... should have it done soon! Are they just bored??? Is it too humid in here (we're in Kansas, we added a fan tonight)? Any and all advice would be appreciated! Thank you!

You are going to wanna make sure you keep them separated until they are completely healed. If you put them back in before then, even with a scab, they will just end up picking it to death. I had a 10 week old roo that had a hole in the side of his neck from a hen attack. I let him heal completely and integrated him back into the flock with almost no problems, (one other hen decided to flog him). Needless to say, I don't have that hen any longer.

Back
Top Bottom