Pecked pullet

ccrow

Crowing
13 Years
May 6, 2010
Southern Maine
OK, so I put my four(2 buff orpington, 2 barred rock) pullets, age app. 16 and 18 weeks, in with my hens for the first time last night. They all seemed fine, if a bit shocked, when I let everyone out to range this AM. Then midafternoon I saw that one of the BOs had been bleeding from her comb. I cleaned it, put on blu-kote and she is fine. My question is, should I put the pullets in with the hens again tonight? They have all been ranging together with no problems, just the hens chasing the pullets which I understand is normal. They just really didn't like those teenagers in *their* pen I guess! I do understand they are going to fight some at first, and I really don't want to prolong things any more than necessary. I usually keep the hens in the pen till 10 or so, to encourage them to lay in the coop and not elswhere. I could try having them all in the coop tonight, and then letting everyone out to range as soon as I open the pop door....
All thoughts and advice welcome!!
hu.gif

I think you have the right idea about putting them to roost tonight with the others, but letting everyone out in the morning to range. Did the new girls get to see the resident flock for a couple weeks in a neighboring run, or is this the first time they've all seen each other? Maybe one of the hens got a lucky shot at that BO and that's all it will take to put that BO in the pecking order. I'm a worrywart and would recommend more supervision until you're satisfied that there's not a bully in the flock that really wants to hurt the new pullets. They should be fine on the roost tonight, just let them out early and keep a watchful eye on them.

Back
Top Bottom