Pecked to death

mckaylaburgess

Chirping
Jul 7, 2020
I had a chronically egg bound hen. Just this week I had to soak her in Epsom salts and isolate her, she was fine after that.

One of my other hens has been particularly mean lately, and she pecked the comb of another one of my hens and gave her a bald spot right behind her comb. I cleaned the spot, sprayed her with wound wash, and put no pick lotion on it. She’s been fine and they haven’t messed with her since.

I walked into the coop to check on her just a few minutes ago and it was a massacre, but not of the one with a head injury. It was my poor chronically egg bound hen. They had really done a number on her vent.

I’m thinking maybe she had a prolapsed vent and they pecked her to death. She was fine at 8:00 when I let them out this morning. A portion of her intestines were disconnected from a the rest of her body, does that sound like a prolapse or did they do that to her? I’m devastated. I had just recently given her a name, and now both chickens I have named have passed away. I’m beginning to think it’s bad luck to name them 😭

I had a chronically egg bound hen. Just this week I had to soak her in Epsom salts and isolate her, she was fine after that.

One of my other hens has been particularly mean lately, and she pecked the comb of another one of my hens and gave her a bald spot right behind her comb. I cleaned the spot, sprayed her with wound wash, and put no pick lotion on it. She’s been fine and they haven’t messed with her since.

I walked into the coop to check on her just a few minutes ago and it was a massacre, but not of the one with a head injury. It was my poor chronically egg bound hen. They had really done a number on her vent.

I’m thinking maybe she had a prolapsed vent and they pecked her to death. She was fine at 8:00 when I let them out this morning. A portion of her intestines were disconnected from a the rest of her body, does that sound like a prolapse or did they do that to her? I’m devastated. I had just recently given her a name, and now both chickens I have named have passed away. I’m beginning to think it’s bad luck to name them 😭
loss.jpg

Sorry about your hen.
Hard to know unless you saw it happen, but if she prolapsed, the it's not uncommon at all for other hens to peck at and pull at exposed tissue.

Sorry for your loss. An eggbound hen can suffer a prolapse. Pecking at a red prolapse can happen. Cannibalism can be common if they are overcrowded, not getting enough protein in the diet, too much light in the laying area, and boredom from not getting out to free range. Certain breeds may be more aggressive, and it can become a habit. Spend some time with the chickens to see if you can spot a problem that is leading the the pecking. Bullies may sometimes be separated to reduce their place in the pecking order.

Sorry for your loss. An eggbound hen can suffer a prolapse. Pecking at a red prolapse can happen. Cannibalism can be common if they are overcrowded, not getting enough protein in the diet, too much light in the laying area, and boredom from not getting out to free range. Certain breeds may be more aggressive, and it can become a habit. Spend some time with the chickens to see if you can spot a problem that is leading the the pecking. Bullies may sometimes be separated to reduce their place in the pecking order.

I haven’t had a feed change, but they refuse to lay in the egg boxes I have for them. They lay in an open corner. What percentage of protein is good for them? They’re on a layer crumble from Rural King. I think I know the culprit, she ran the others off from the feeder earlier while I was in there.

How old are they? Have you tried placing a golf ball or a fake egg, such as the ones that Tractor Supply sells, in the nests? That sometimes atracts them to the nestboxes. Usually most new layers will end up laying in the nest box eventually. As long as they are a little dark and private, and have a little pine shavings in them.

I’ve had them since this April.
How old are they? Have you tried placing a golf ball or a fake egg, such as the ones that Tractor Supply sells, in the nests? That sometimes atracts them to the nestboxes. Usually most new layers will end up laying in the nest box eventually. As long as they are a little dark and private, and have a little pine shavings in them.
I’ve had them since this April, so about 7 months old. They’re all laying. I haven’t tried that yet, but I will!

:hugs sorry for your loss. My chickens have cannibalized before (a hawk got a pullet about four years ago and when I came home they were running around with the feet and intestines. I assume the rooster frightened the hawk away and the chickens came scavenging) and it’s sad and upsetting.

As others have said I would make sure they have lots of space (they can get irritable and nasty if they are overcrowded) and make sure they have enough protein. Also, they will pick at each other if they are bored. I have a nice big pen that gets moved a lot so mine always have fresh things to do, but if your is immobile/on dirt you may have to improvise. I love putting branches in the pen for them to explore and the Christmas tree always goes in there for a few weeks after we are finished with it. Chickens’ natural habitat is in the woods so they love underbrush.

Back
Top Bottom