Peckee is a Buff Minorca!

The Chicken People

Songster
10 Years
May 4, 2009
Smithville, Mo
I rescued two hens from my Uncle. One is a feather pecker the other is the peckee. I have seperated them and I know the peckee will heal and the feathers will grow back. My question is will the feather pecker ever be able to be integrated with my flock and not peck them? I am keeping them seperate from my flock for thirty days. The pecker is blind in one eye and will be put in its own coop for now. The peckee will be kept inside as our temps are to cold right now for a chicken with less than half its feathers! I will post pics later! I am curios also because one looks like a BO but has a longer tail, white spot behind its ear, and lays white eggs! These were bought as chicks from Atwoods! Predators got the rest of his flock and these two were needing me....Uncle just had heart surgery!

Last edited:
Sounds like you`re doing the right things. Also, add some extra protein into their feed. This can be as simple as a few morsels of dry catfood a few days a week. This will aid feather growwth in the peckee and satisfy the need for protein in the pecker..........Pop

Smithville, I'm another Missouri BYC'er, from Ashland area. We too rescue laying hens. Two BR's came to us, bare on shoulders and middle backs from roos. One feathered out nicely after molts this fall, but the other still has the same bare patches. Hens continued to peck at her whenever feathering would begin. In December, I found her bloody and raw and decided the time had come to isolate her from the others--red and blood just attract more attack, cannibalistic little beasts! I put her and her "sister BR" in a roomy dog crate alongside the indoor pen of the other hens. Jemima healed, though bare still, and now I let her range and spend some day time with the flock and she seems fine with them--no new rawness. I tried to make her a "saddle" but the thing just would not stay on. I feed her an enriched diet and she is thriving now. Along with the flock, she gets oatmeal with veg/bread leftovers on frigid mornings. She receives cabbage and salad greens as available. I add Calf Manna to the laying mash to up the protein factor. Plain yogurt with beaten eggs as I have that available. Dry cat food and BOSS are tossed to flock a couple times a week. I have no "formula" but they are healthy and laying well here in the depth of winter and cold and yuck in mid Missouri so I trust what I'm doing. Good luck with your poor girl, and I hope she gets much better soon. ~G

Last edited:
Why does this chicken smell so bad? I dont see any bloody or red or infected areas. She just stinks! Should I bathe her? And what do I use? How do you bathe a chicken?
She was being fed scratch grains and crumbles...I put her on layer pellets!

Last edited:
30246_dsc03515.jpg

She has white spots behind her ears. All I know is they came from Atwoods as chicks! And she lays long white eggs!
30246_dsc03519.jpg

Her feathers are trying to come back..she was very smelly but I noticed an improvement since she is on good food!

Back
Top Bottom