I don't mind the occasion butt peck, but poor Olga is pecked down to skin. they all came from the same place, and are the same age, but the bullies, I mean Wyandotts, are way bigger.

All the same age, and have had them all since February. They hatched early December. I'm more inclined to separate the Wyandotts out and let Olga keep her spot in the pecking order. None of the other hens show the slightest bit of interest in her feathers. Hoping a little time in solitary (well there are two of them) will deflate them a little. Do you think once her feathers are back they will loose interest?

All the same age, and have had them all since February. They hatched early December. I'm more inclined to separate the Wyandotts out and let Olga keep her spot in the pecking order. None of the other hens show the slightest bit of interest in her feathers. Hoping a little time in solitary (well there are two of them) will deflate them a little. Do you think once her feathers are back they will loose interest?

Well, yes, that isn't a bad idea.. but if whilst in solitary these two begin pecking each other they'll have to be alone!!
Yes, once the feathers are back they are less likely to peck as they won't be attracted by the red skin. Other reasons for feather pecking include: Boredom, stress, and lack of protein. If you think it is lack of protein, I recommend feeding them mealworms regularly, as they have about 55% protein.

Hope this helps!!

Thanks, they get mealworms and BOSS mixed and a good quality feed. Plenty of room, things to play on. I think they are just bullies. I thought when they started laying they would be nicer, but no such luck.

Feathers won't grow back until a molt.

@harveyhorses How much space do these birds have?
Might be better to start a new thread with details on your flock and housing.
-flock size(numbers, ages, genders),
-coop(size in feet by feet with pics),
-and what and how exactly you are feeding.

I am having the same type problem, but it's two GLW picking on one Russian Orloff, they are the same age, and came from the same place, they have plenty of space, a 60 x 100 run. This weekend I am going to set up the two Whinydots a separate area, if I keep them apart long enough for Olgas feathers to grow back do you think they will go back to feather pecking? She is the only one they pick on, they are pretty pushy and the Orloffs are both very timid and soooo sweet, I worry if I separate them out they will not integrate back as easily as they Whinydots. (they are really beautiful, but pretty is as pretty does!)
I have 11 and they are the only 2 causing a problem. 3 EE, one French Copper Marans, one Speckled Sussex, two Russian Orloffs (Olga is the one being picked on) two Barnevelders and the two Gold lace Wyandotts.
Thoughts or suggestions?
Coop is 10 x14
I'm going to separate and see what happens. I can't let them keep picking on her.

this was happening to my muscovy duckling but never happened to my pekins.. let them outside, give them grss, give them water, throw in some toys (small balls, not big enough to digest though) gather some bugs and throw some in for them, give them space.

Back
Top Bottom