My Pretty Pekins

Songster
Apr 25, 2019
Somewhere in the English Countryside
My Coop
My Coop
We got three new POL hens two days ago, and they've all been vaccinated, wormed etc. There are three of them, and one is continually pecking feathers from the other hens' vent area. I know that I ought to do something about this, and I wasn't sure what. There are a few things I think it could be:

1) Boredom: our previous hens have been free-ranging (for longer than usual so that the newbies can explore the new home) and the newbies have been pacing around the fence quite a bit.

2) Stress: They moved two days ago, have a new home, and other chickens that are (inevitably) pecking them

What should I do??

The three year olds here have an acre to range and will still peck a butt if given the chance.
Just stare into it and give a little peck, it continues until the peckee finally just has to leave.
They've done it since the day they arrived here. I just figured it was because they were hillbilly chickens. To clarify, they came from waay up in the N.C mountains, raised with lord knows how many birds I saw. They were all happy, running free and pecking butts. Never seen it before, didn't question it. Just put it in the pile of stuff they do that I don't get. :)

We got three new POL hens two days ago, and they've all been vaccinated, wormed etc. There are three of them, and one is continually pecking feathers from the other hens' vent area. I know that I ought to do something about this, and I wasn't sure what. There are a few things I think it could be:

1) Boredom: our previous hens have been free-ranging (for longer than usual so that the newbies can explore the new home) and the newbies have been pacing around the fence quite a bit.

2) Stress: They moved two days ago, have a new home, and other chickens that are (inevitably) pecking them

What should I do??
Yep boredom and stress could be the problem.
Also, did the 3 new birds grow up together?
They may be new to each other so are 'integrating' with the typical pecking order issues.
You might need to separate the pecker temporarily.

How did you introduce the new birds to your existing birds?
How big is your coop and run, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would help.

Hencraze24: Their brooder is designed for ten large chickens, there are 6 hens (including the new ones) and one Pekin Bantam cockerel.

Aart: Yes, the new ones did grow up together. We've shut the pecker up separately for a while. We introduced the new ones to the existing birds by keeping them in sight but out of reach for a while, they integrated (new with old) earlier today. Not actually sure in feet, but they have the coop and we built a big run for them which they have access to at all times except during the night, and also they free-range daily, the new ones' haven't free-ranged yet though. Does that help?

P.S. I'll post pictures later

Does that help?
P.S. I'll post pictures later
Looking forward to the pics.Measurements would be good too...because....

This
Their brooder is designed for ten large chickens
can be very misleading.
Coop manufacturers are not good(honest) at estimating population capacities.

We introduced the new ones to the existing birds by keeping them in sight but out of reach for a while,
How long, in days or weeks, is 'awhile'?

You may have to do some juggling with the pecker.
You might also try to let the newbies out to relieve the confinement stress.
Curious where the new and old birds are sleeping?

A while is 2 days... should that have been longer?
We have been letting the old ones out so the newbies have more time to get to know the cage and surroundings. They are sleeping together and though we've been watching we haven't seen much fighting at all. Is that a good or bad thing?

Also, we brought mealworms for a protein kick as we were advised that they needed more...

A while is 2 days... should that have been longer?
We have been letting the old ones out so the newbies have more time to get to know the cage and surroundings. They are sleeping together and though we've been watching we haven't seen much fighting at all. Is that a good or bad thing?

Also, we brought mealworms for a protein kick as we were advised that they needed more...
That is a good tehcnique!
But are the existing birds stressed about not being able to enter coop/run during the day to lay?

2 days is nothing...but good that they are sleeping in the same coop without problems.
Leaving the newbies in the coop/run longer to 'home' them before ranging can be important. I'd let it go like you are doing for a few more days, then let the newbies out to range late in day(an hour before roost time) hopefully they will come back to roost in coop, then you can let them all out.

I am having the same type problem, but it's two GLW picking on one Russian Orloff, they are the same age, and came from the same place, they have plenty of space, a 60 x 100 run. This weekend I am going to set up the two Whinydots a separate area, if I keep them apart long enough for Olgas feathers to grow back do you think they will go back to feather pecking? She is the only one they pick on, they are pretty pushy and the Orloffs are both very timid and soooo sweet, I worry if I separate them out they will not integrate back as easily as they Whinydots. (they are really beautiful, but pretty is as pretty does!)
I have 11 and they are the only 2 causing a problem. 3 EE, one French Copper Marans, one Speckled Sussex, two Russian Orloffs (Olga is the one being picked on) two Barnevelders and the two Gold lace Wyandotts.
Thoughts or suggestions?

That is a good tehcnique!
But are the existing birds stressed about not being able to enter coop/run during the day to lay?

2 days is nothing...but good that they are sleeping in the same coop without problems.
Leaving the newbies in the coop/run longer to 'home' them before ranging can be important. I'd let it go like you are doing for a few more days, then let the newbies out to range late in day(an hour before roost time) hopefully they will come back to roost in coop, then you can let them all out.

Thanks! Yes, I actually wondered that. However they're fairly old and aren't laying much at all ATM and there's also a second coop, with a mother and her chicks, and she (the mother) is perfectly fine with all the others 'moving in' for a few hours. In fact the chicks are so used to them they're now following the cock around instead of Mum while she lays (she's just started again after going broody) much to Mum's annoyance!!
So no, I wouldn't think the older ones are stressed - especially as it's mainly during the afternoon that I let them free-range and they lay in the mornings if they're going to!

OK, thanks for those tips!

Back
Top Bottom