Pecking and Bulling

jennas

Hatching
Aug 6, 2016
Surrey London
I have 10 chickens, 3 lavenders, 1 warren, 2 Marans, 2 Light Sussex 2 Spotted Lady's i have a x large coop and they are free range so have loads of space . All my hens are picking on one of my lavenders so much so that's she scared to eat and drink and hides in the coop or up on high branch.I have been using the pecking spray and that has helped with the other birds. I have been watching them and now have taken the two who i think are the main bullies and all SEEMS a bit better tonight. I am going to introduce the two main bullies back tonight into the coop and hoping this might help with a new pecking order.If this doesn't work does anyone have anymore ideas on what i can do to stop this. Any help will be great.
D.gif

Removing the bullies is the best treatment besides applying anti-picking solutions, however the bullies must be removed for more than just a day for it to have any lasting effect on pecking order. They should be segregated away from the flock AND each other for at least a week and preferably two, for there to be any real change of dominance. They should also be reintroduced at separate times, usually a day or two apart.

This is how we do it. Once it goes beyond (re)establishing the pecking order, the aggressor goes. Especially with males, aggressive alphas go bye bye. With hens, since we only deal with eye candy we can't tolerate them damaging each other, if we don't need for cross breeding, we will sell it. With full disclosure on why.

What is anti pecking solution? I'm 12 weeks into chicken raising.

It's an ointment-type substance that is applied to picked on areas; it usually has a dark purplish or blue color which hides the skin and/or blood, as well as an unpleasant taste and odor. I'm a fan of the Pick-No-More brand, but some folks prefer BluKote.

Last edited:
Stop pick is red like blood...It is supposed to deter them from picking. It is a Cayenne pepper based lotion...I have used it with zero success..Blu-Kote is a spray to cover wounds so the birds can not see blood...It is a purple colour and will stain your hens Purple.

What do you do if all 3 (2 Rhode Island Reds and 1 Americauna)the others are picking on 1(Americauna)? No physical injuries, just chasing her away from the scratch treats, and in general in the 10x10 night pen before they're let out into the backyard? She reminds me of the girl in school that wanted to be in the group, but the snobby girls wouldn't even be kind to her. :(

What do you do if all 3 (2 Rhode Island Reds and 1 Americauna)the others are picking on 1(Americauna)? No physical injuries, just chasing her away from the scratch treats, and in general in the 10x10 night pen before they're let out into the backyard? She reminds me of the girl in school that wanted to be in the group, but the snobby girls wouldn't even be kind to her.
sad.png
She is at the bottom of the pecking order...They understand pecking order so I am sure she is all fine with being at the bottom...I have 11 pullets and when they free range I have little clicks also..My two Orpingtons chum with the Brahama...The Bantam with the one Ameruacana...Danish browns with the other two EEs...And so forth...They get along for the most part but If treats are put out you really see the natural pecking order come into play...My Bantam steal a bit and runs because she is at the bottom...

One way to help with the chasing from food and water and treats is to have multiple stations. I have three, both in and out of the coops. The more dominant birds eat and drink first, then wander off to free range at which point the less dominant birds take advantage and eat and drink. No one does without, but some of them have to wait their turn.

When I feed treats, I scatter the scratch grain over a large area so they all have room to scratch around and eat it up.

Back
Top Bottom