Pecking and eating their own eggs

Dawnsgirls

Hatching
7 Years
May 2, 2012
We are seeing fewer eggs and actually think they are pecking and eating there own eggs. They are free range and have started laying away from the nests which I can deal with but when we have broken ones we don't always find them right away. WHY are they eating their own eggs and do you have any suggestions to stop this behavior? Any thoughts will be appreciated.

There are usually two reasons why a bird eats its own egg. It could just be a bad habit. Or it lacks calcium. So check if your birds are getting enough calcium in their diet. I have never had this problem (...yet) but I have read that a good method is to put mustard into an egg shell since chicken hate mustard.
Good luck

Tim, are you saying you take a broken shell and put regular prepared mustard on the inside so if they peck at it they get the flavor of the mustard and then will not go after other eggs? Just want to understand before I get yellow mustard all over. Thanks for your comments.

Yes. try to get a shell that was broken in half so that you can put it back together again after you've added the mustard. Then the egg looks almost whole again. I haven never tried this myself but I have read this several times on this site!

Back
Top Bottom