Pecking at each other's eyes

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Goblnfvr, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Goblnfvr

Goblnfvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Midland Ont. Canada
    I have 3 chicks together in my brooder. The oldest one hatched two days ago and the other two last evening [ I also have 4 more eggs that are pipped but are taking there time hatching]
    My concern is that the oldest one seems to have a bad habit of pecking at the other ones eyes.

Am I going to have to separate them or is this just something between chicks???

2. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    I had one that did that this spring, I made a chick time out box and just a little separation worked wonders. I was really upset at the time, it was explained to me here that the eyes look like little shiny bugs and being they are wired to get bugs, well, you see what happens. Mine outgrew it, but it looked so painful and mean I found it difficult, but chick timeout worked. Also even a day of chick time out, with food, water and heat caused the little booger to cheap like he was hurt! Don't let them fool you! Supervised them once I put her/him back in and just a few minor episodes and ok.

Ps -remember this if you put them close to your face, your eyes are appealing too, so watch out!

3. Goblnfvr

Goblnfvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Midland Ont. Canada
    Thanks for the info.

Will take the "Time Out" into consideration.[​IMG]

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Consider making the brooder larger, adding distractions like short roosts or things to jump up on, a little plastic mirror if you have one, something that hangs and swings, even something like a small chunk of cabbage or apple that they can peck at and eat, a cat toy with a bell, and so forth. Also, try lowering the heat a few degrees. Actually the best cure is being outdoors on grass. Try this in a week or two on a warm sunny day for short periods, if you can; you will need some sort of temporary pen; an old upside down playpen would be ideal.

5. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    I encountered this problem this week the instant I took my chicks out of the shipping box and placed them in the brooder. I freaked out a bit and wasnt sure what to do... I did remove the "pecker" put him back in his shipping box for a little bit ( there was a heat pad there), added another small feeding spot ( an upside down mason jar lid)

I have since realized that the chick doing the pecking was just going after something shiny, and in particular the chick whose eyes were getting packed had small white spots under his eye, too tmepting not to peck for the others-- Its reduced dramtically in the past few days, whether right or wrong what I did was interfere a bit, I watched them closely and every time they started I would distract them in some way. Worked so far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by