pecking - blu kote spray question?

DoverChick

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 29, 2011
Dover, PA
Hello all!

I have a group of 5 week old chicks that I just put outside in their coop. Right before I took them out, I noticed that one of the chicks was getting pecking on her/his lower back to the point of losing feathers a little bleeding. I kept her inside by herself to clean the wound and let her rest, and took the rest out to the coop.

I found some blu-kote spray at TSC and used that on her. She spent the night inside while the rest were out in the coop. Do you think I could stick her out with the rest now that she has the blu-kote on? Will it stop them from pecking at it?

I just separated another chick about a week or two ago and I had to keep her separated for a week before the scabs fell off. But I didn't have the blu-kote at the time..... I'm hoping I don't have to keep this one separated for as long.

What do you think?

Thanks for any input.

I have had great success with using blue-kote. I have found that I can stick them right back in with their mates. I had a white silkie rooster that was seriously pecked and had blood everywhere. We took him inside gave him a bath and blow-dry, put blue-kote on all his red/bloody areas, christened him Barney and sent him back outside. No one bothered him after. He still looks funny though, cauz the blue-kote takes forever to go away. LOL.
wink.png

I think the Blue Cote is good for bald spots, because supposedly, the blue color isn't as attractive as the red, irritated bald skin. I have used it for this reason as well.......

The only thing that worries me is, if you keep the chick away from the others too long, then it will be targeted as a "newby" and may be pecked for that reason.....

But I do like the Blue Cote spray and keep it on hand. I had some hens that had bald spots from breeding........

Now, sometimes you get one particularly mean chick or adult chicken that is a feather picker......If you notice that most of your chickens have bald spots, but there is ONE chicken that doesn't, then just set a spell and watch them.....You might discover that one chick or chicken is pulling feathers......In my opinion, that chicken needs to go! They can just make an entire flock look bad......I like my chickens to look pretty.......

It worked for me too...my flock was pulling the feathers out of one of my cochin's neck, she started looking like a naked neck. I put blue kote on it a week ago, and they've left her alone and the feathers have started growing

Just make sure to keep the blue kote on her, you can even spray the others in the same spot as her to confuse them.

depends on the breed to, esp if they got a taste of blood it can be tough to stop it, maybe get a bottle of hot pick as well..

hope it turns out good for you and your 5 week old chickys..

Quote:
I like that idea! I agree with putting her back, if you can get away with it. Reintegration after a week or so away can be a real pain, for all of you.

Quote:
Blu Kote sprays out in a fairly concentrated area. Be forewarned that your chicken may flap it's wings or move around when you spray it and send Blu Kote everywhere including on you! Make sure you wear old clothing. Alcohol hand sanitizer does help remove the splatter from your face and hands!
lau.gif
gig.gif

Blue kote comes in aerosol and pump type applicators, the aerosol is not as controllable as the pump applicator bottles, which can stream or spray wide depending on pressure applied to pump

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom