pecking homing pigeon

lotsofloveforchickens

Songster
5 Years
Mar 17, 2018
does anyone know if it's normal for a homing pigeon to get aggressive when you stick your hand in the cage to give fresh water and food? mine always wants to grab my hand and pintch me with his beak everytime I get close .He does make his boob-a - doo noise and turn in circles at me all the time. Just not sure what's normal. If he likes me or not???

does anyone know if it's normal for a homing pigeon to get aggressive when you stick your hand in the cage to give fresh water and food? mine always wants to grab my hand and pintch me with his beak everytime I get close .He does make his boob-a - doo noise and turn in circles at me all the time. Just not sure what's normal. If he likes me or not???

Totally normal. Homing pigeons are pretty aloof birds. I have handled a few of my babies since they were young, so they do not get scared when I hold them, and some even love it and appear to love me.... then once they mature after a few months that instinct seems to kick in and they do what you are describing, but they mostly do it when they are sitting on "their" perch or nest box. They are territorial in that respect. When they are not in their own territory, they will avoid me trying to catch them, but they won't bite at me nearly as much.

Back
Top Bottom