pecking homing pigeon

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by lotsofloveforchickens, Mar 17, 2018.

1. lotsofloveforchickens

lotsofloveforchickens Chirping

Mar 17, 2018
    does anyone know if it's normal for a homing pigeon to get aggressive when you stick your hand in the cage to give fresh water and food? mine always wants to grab my hand and pintch me with his beak everytime I get close .He does make his boob-a - doo noise and turn in circles at me all the time. Just not sure what's normal. If he likes me or not???

biophiliac likes this.
  2. Quacking Pigeon

Quacking Pigeon Crowing

Mar 12, 2018
    NSW, Australia
    My Coop
    I think he trying to court your hand if you’ve watched Latte the pigeon you’ll see that it’s normal behavior especially if that bird has been handled before. P.S I don’t own Latte but his a cute birb.

lotsofloveforchickens likes this.
  3. lotsofloveforchickens

Mar 17, 2018
    I never thought about that before. he doesn't have a mate ,except my hand!

Quacking Pigeon likes this.
  4. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Crossing the Road

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Get a mate for him. Just like chickens, pigeons do like company of other pigeons.
    WISHING YOU BEST...... and:welcome

5. LamarshFish

LamarshFish Songster

Mar 26, 2015
    Totally normal. Homing pigeons are pretty aloof birds. I have handled a few of my babies since they were young, so they do not get scared when I hold them, and some even love it and appear to love me.... then once they mature after a few months that instinct seems to kick in and they do what you are describing, but they mostly do it when they are sitting on "their" perch or nest box. They are territorial in that respect. When they are not in their own territory, they will avoid me trying to catch them, but they won't bite at me nearly as much.

biophiliac likes this.
  6. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Crowing

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Pigeon do not as a rule like to be handled.

This aggressive action is for the most part totally normal.
    You can lessen this aggression by hand feeding shelled unsalted peanuts as a treat only.

biophiliac likes this.
  7. lotsofloveforchickens

Mar 17, 2018
    thank you I will try that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: