CloneFly

Never say Never
Premium Feather Member
Mar 8, 2022
Hello all! I have a bit of an issue. Obviously, all flocks have a pecking order, and in mine the head chook is my BSL, Pinguino. She usually picks on Brigid, our biggest chicken (literally, and figuratively) who is supposed to be a Jersey Giant. Well, I've noticed a few bloody combs in the last week, so Pinguino has been put in a time-out cage... thing is, Brigid is still super freaked out. This chicken is usually very sweet and cuddly, but the last few days she screams as if something is killing her. It breaks my heart. She does have a chicken apron on right now due to feather picking on her back and has been doing fine with it.
We don't have any roosters... at least outside. I've placed Ms. Brigid in a cage with food and water that way she can "hide" from whatever is scaring her, but I would appreciate any tips y'all have on calming her down/identifying the issue/locating any additional troublemakers

Wow, I've never seen such a scared chicken! Did something else also happen? Do you have predator's in the area? Does Pinguino chase her or attack her as soon as they are together? I don't have any tips except keeping her normal routine and giving her space, maybe she will slowly get better. I also recommend giving Brigid a buddy, if she is traumatized or highly stressed another chicken will be highly beneficial in her healing process. Just supervise them first and make sure she's not scared of them too.

Geez, she been severely pecked at considering half her body is missing feathers. Your hen is under a lot of stress and is traumatized. She might not be able to recover from it psychologically.

I suggest you be more aware of your flocks behavior and take action immediately to prevent situations like this.

Chickens do learn from other chickens especially bad behavior. That's why it's important to intervene as soon as possible.

Wow, I've never seen such a scared chicken! Did something else also happen? Do you have predator's in the area? Does Pinguino chase her or attack her as soon as they are together? I don't have any tips except keeping her normal routine and giving her space, maybe she will slowly get better. I also recommend giving Brigid a buddy, if she is traumatized or highly stressed another chicken will be highly beneficial in her healing process. Just supervise them first and make sure she's not scared of them too.
She seems to be leery of everyone, which is odd. She used to be somewhere in the middle of the pecking order. Our girls stay in the coop/run which is all predator proof and guarded by our 3 dogs that watch our yard (the chickens have known them their whole lives). They're both a year old

Geez, she been severely pecked at considering half her body is missing feathers. Your hen is under a lot of stress and is traumatized. She might not be able to recover from it psychologically.

I suggest you be more aware of your flocks behavior and take action immediately to prevent situations like this.

Chickens do learn from other chickens especially bad behavior. That's why it's important to intervene as soon as possible.
I work from home, so am with my flock most of the day either working outside or spending time with them. The times I'm not around are from 12am - 9pm due to sleeping and other animals.

I have seperated the chickens prior to this on multiple occasions, but either Pinguino doesn't get the message or something else is up with Brigid. We did bring her and our other Jersey to a vet (suspected coccidiosis) and the vet said they likely have a reproductive disorder and to increase their protein intake as that might help their feathers. They're my babies, so it breaks my heart to see her this frightened...

My suggestion is keep the jersey giants together but away from your flock. She might calm down and start behaving normal with less chickens around her. But this would be a permanent arrangement.

My suggestion is keep the jersey giants together but away from your flock. She might calm down and start behaving normal with less chickens around her. But this would be a permanent arrangement.
Oh dear, if it comes to that, so be it... no chance to reintroduce her later on?

Back
Top Bottom