Pecking order or bullying difference

Bullies go out of their way to harass another bird. If they see them in the nest box, they chase them out for no reason. If they see them on the other side of the yard, they run them down.

Pecking order is a quick reminder of who gets out of who's way at the feeder or who gets the favorite spot on the roost.

Pecking is over and done with in a second. Bullying isn't.

Can you provide some examples of any behavior you're seeing?

Thank you! I only have three birds but one is a black maran and most of her head feathers have been pulled out. The other two are EEs. I’ve seen one EE (middle one) get on top of her multiple times and pull them out. When I dump a pile of compost or greens for them, the other two kind of make noises and look and her to get her away. Sometimes they all eat together though. Finally I saw the one I think is on the top of the pecking order pull a feather out of the middle one when they were eating from the compost pile today. The maran lingers outside at night and follows me around when I’m in the coop.

Can you provide some examples of any behavior you're seeing?

You can put the bully in a dog kennel in the garage or some other out of sight place for a couple days and then bring her back to the others. Sometimes that resets the order and puts the bully in her place.

More birds could also help, as someone is bound to be above her and could teach her some manners.

Worst case scenario, you could cull her (rehome or freeze camp). If she joins a new flock, she will start at the bottom, but some people don't want a known bully.

You can put the bully in a dog kennel in the garage or some other out of sight place for a couple days and then bring her back to the others. Sometimes that resets the order and puts the bully in her place.

More birds could also help, as someone is bound to be above her and could teach her some manners.

Worst case scenario, you could cull her (rehome or freeze camp). If she joins a new flock, she will start at the bottom, but some people don't want a known bully.
Does it sound like bullying behavior to you? And which bird, the middle one or both Ees? Thanks again

Does it sound like bullying behavior to you? And which bird, the middle one or both Ees? Thanks again
It sound like the middle one is a bully. Try separating her for a couple days where the others can't see her. Moving both EEs will just make the other one more of a target when they get reintroduced again. Good luck.

My hen, possible rooster Pepper has been really mean to the 2 newest chicks we have. Because she was so small when we found her (guessing 5-8 weeks) and we had absolutely nothing to have chickens so we bought her a friend, Rosie the Aracana and we raised them inside.
We added 2 more chicks 1 and 2 weeks later..Cookie the barred rock and Twinkie a buff orp I think.
We have done the separation fence and Pepper is not obsessed with jumping the fence to chase them but before the separation fence she was chasing Cookie all the time! Cookie is really scared of her. I think the chicks are about 5 to 7 weeks now.
Today Rosie went on the chicks of the fence and aside from a few run ups all was well.
Our coop area is 25 feet long so far. Should I put the little ones with Rosie and then try introducing Pepper or should the little ones be a few weeks older first?? I feel like Im causing more problems by not letting things happen naturally. Thanks.

Ill post pictures of them.
20210817_191506.jpg

Attachments

• 20210817_191411.jpg
    20210817_191411.jpg
    796.3 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom