1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pecking order question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chick_in_Indiana, May 18, 2008.

1. Chick_in_Indiana

Chick_in_Indiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    NE Indiana
    I have babies that are 2 1/2 months and last night my girl frizzle was challenging what was thought to be a boy silkie. (but you know how that guessing game goes [​IMG] )

Is it possible she is trying to be doninate over him? I have other little roos and she dont mind them. And they have yet to elsablish a pecking order between the 3 or 4 of them.

Or is it more likely that the silkie in question is a girl???

Thanks for any help.

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    What you are seeing is the establishment of a pecking order. It really has nothing to do with sexes at this point. The puffing and posturing and chest bumping is all natural and normal behavior.

3. peepkeeper

peepkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    At about a week or so of age they start with the chest thumping, stare down, pecking order business, so what you're seeing is natural behavior. A lot of how they establish their heirarchy is pretty sublte and we would miss a lot of it unless we're watching really closely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by