Pecking order?? Sad chicken??

Scareab

Songster
Dec 13, 2019
Dallas Texas
*I first want to add a disclaimer. I do not condone chicken fighting of any sort. I love my chickens as pets and would never intentionally put them in harms way.*

So today I took out my chickens to wonder outside in my front yard. I stood there watching and went inside to get some treats. My mom was outside watching over them to make sure no hawk comes by for a little treat. Then our neighbor’s chicken came by and started sizing up our 2 chickens. I recognize that it’s the pecking order, and there were two of them against this unknown Plymouth Rock. Of course my Salmon Flaverolle runs to safety, but my wyandotte squares up and takes the challenge. Mind you my two birds are no more than 15 weeks old. So they have a bit of a scuffle, started quickly and ended quickly. No one was hurt, but my wyandotte lost the fight. So we separated my two chickens to the safety of my backyard. My salmon flaverolle acts normal, but my wyandotte is acting pretty sad. She ducks her head down, and seems somewhat depressed.
I’m not sure what to do to get her spirits back up. Will she be able to challenge the foreign chicken again? I’m not sure what to do... help?

p.s: my mom got a video from the fight.

Attachments

• E4BF4E91-21C8-4544-86C7-5506E915C780.jpeg
    E4BF4E91-21C8-4544-86C7-5506E915C780.jpeg
    293.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 2355F6B3-D1EB-4AFE-82A7-D5A41EEDBEC4.jpeg
    2355F6B3-D1EB-4AFE-82A7-D5A41EEDBEC4.jpeg
    354.8 KB · Views: 9
  • CB36293D-A9B1-4A4E-A8AD-8BFF0188A443.jpeg
    CB36293D-A9B1-4A4E-A8AD-8BFF0188A443.jpeg
    185.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 3CC1F038-8454-4D16-9D97-69766C702672.jpeg
    3CC1F038-8454-4D16-9D97-69766C702672.jpeg
    337.3 KB · Views: 8
Wow great photos. Do other chickens just sort of roam your neighborhood? Your pullet probably seems down because the neighbor's bird put her in her place, but I would think as long as she isn't confronted again by this bird she'll perk back up.

How sure are you that your Wyandotte is a female? I can't tell from those photos but I suspect it might be a cockerel. Can you post a photo showing a close-up of the head showing comb and any wattles, plus a profile shot showing the legs, posture, and general body shape. At that age a close-up of the saddle or hackle feathers to see if they are pointed might be helpful, though it may still be pretty young for that. From my experience I have trouble imagining a 15 week old pullet standing up to a mature hen, but a 15 week old cockerel might.

In either case, as long as it is not injured, a chick that young should recover its spirits pretty quickly, so just give it time. It is still maturing. Just be patient.

How sure are you that your Wyandotte is a female? I can't tell from those photos but I suspect it might be a cockerel. Can you post a photo showing a close-up of the head showing comb and any wattles, plus a profile shot showing the legs, posture, and general body shape. At that age a close-up of the saddle or hackle feathers to see if they are pointed might be helpful, though it may still be pretty young for that. From my experience I have trouble imagining a 15 week old pullet standing up to a mature hen, but a 15 week old cockerel might.

In either case, as long as it is not injured, a chick that young should recover its spirits pretty quickly, so just give it time. It is still maturing. Just be patient.
We are not entirely sure about gender yet :/
But I can send pics in a new thread of my wyandotte!

Back
Top Bottom