Pecking Order with Bantams...

Bettyboop7499

Crowing
5 Years
Mar 25, 2018
Traverse City, MI
Does anyone have issues with raising bantams with bigger chickens when the pecking order is being established?
Well, it appears the pecking order has began! I'm worried about my two little Silver OEGBs, one has a BR hen that protects her to some extent. The other one not so much. The second Silver OEGB is always alone, she doesn't come to the table when food is delivered, she stays back and is usually by herself at all times. I also have a spunky Sebright bantam Rooster-Mr. Rooster. Mr. Rooster has been crowing for sometime and recently started practicing his mount. All of my chickens are about 12weeks. My Gold Laced Wyandotte Rooster let out his first crow this morning! His name is Robbie. And it just so happen they all came out of the coop swinging this morning! Several fights broke out instantly.

Do I just let them do there thing? What do I look out for that could be dangerous?

Thanks for any advice!

Let hen do your thing.Most birds fairly low in the pecking order will stand back.But from experience,bugger hens who are lower then bantams may try any chance to be come higher.Anytime my bantam hen is being chased away,the lower New Hampshire red hens begin trying to fight her,she wins everytime,but it’s stull the fact it happens more than usually.

Back
Top Bottom