Pecking order...

Pardon my ignorance but at what age do they start sorting out the pecking order? Mine are almost 4 weeks old and a few seem to be bullies....I assume that's the start of the pecking order?? TIA
It could be. You will see the pecking order change and it’s not often settled until they are adults and everyone is laying. Even then things can change. Some chicks are more rambunctious than others and it could just be playing. I had a pullet that I was positive was a cockerel because she was always rough housing with the boys.

well dominance occures from day one on some levels but the real more permanent order gets set as they reach sexual maturity and it can change periodocally depending on events and birds coming and going .. ive found i can even influence it, if theres a real dominant bird making waves i can do things like not give treats if they do it right in front of me ... the other birds see it and will knock them off the high horse, sometimes, like i said i can influence it some, not an exact science lol .. can also 'favor' a certain bird, with treats again as example, where i make sure to give it treats first before others get any, usually at least brings it up a notch in the order ...chicken behavior is quite interesting

Last edited:
Sufficient (lots) space / feed stations and objects of interest (small tree branches, cardboard boxes with multiple holes for entry cut out, are examples that I used with the aim of providing distractions in the brooder. They seem to help reduce bullying. There are lots of other options - let your mind run riot :)

Sufficient (lots) space / feed stations and objects of interest (small tree branches, cardboard boxes with multiple holes for entry cut out, are examples that I used with the aim of providing distractions in the brooder. They seem to help reduce bullying. There are lots of other options - let your mind run riot :)
Most of it happens when they are out of the brooder believe it or not....I don't notice it when they are inside the brooder.

Back
Top Bottom