Pecking Questions...

bwebster

Songster
Mar 3, 2020
Connecticut
I have 5 Barred Rocks, 3 with pinless peepers. Our current coop is way too small for them, and I'm in the process of building a bigger (6'x8') coop, and extending their run.

My question about the pecking, is when they move to the bigger coop, will the pecking stop or is that behavior there forever?

Also, are there any suggestion out there to thwart this behavior in general? The peepers helped for a short while, but not really anymore. Its clear they don't have enough space. And the birds are gigantic.

Thanks!

All hens correct? How long has this been going on? Are you sure they aren't just molting? Can you show pics? What are the measurements of their current house and run?

No pics on my phone I'd have to take some. It's been maybe a month or so. Definitely not molting because I've seen the crime in action. I'm sure it's a space thing.

Coop is 4x4 and run is about 6'x10', plus space below the coop. I never anticipated how big this breed actually gets. Most of it seems to be on the roost outside, and when one is laying in the nesting box.

Last edited:
1603732408184.png

Birds are about 7 months old. Got them as day olds in the end of March. This is the only photo I have available but it gives a good idea of the set up.

I feed them 16% protein layer crumble and random scraps from the kitcher from time to time. Supplemental oyster shell as well but we are currently out. I'm not sure if they are pecking to get protien or not. (?)

I'm glad you're working on a bigger coop. :thumbsup

Your chickens are most likely bored and maybe a little bit stressed from being together in such a tight place with nothing else to do. Do you ever free range? If what I'm explaining is the problem, it would probably help reduce this issue.

Hens in factory farms peck each other from boredom, stress, and for lack of protein. Please give updates on how they are doing!

Back
Top Bottom