pecking?? True or False?

Angel16

Songster
10 Years
Feb 19, 2013
Riding on a horse! :)
Hello, i wondered if this was true or false; my mom heard that if hens start pecking at each other and draw blood that they all will go after the one that is bleeding. is this true?

Just yesterday I heard some loud chirping coming from my brooder box of baby chicks. One chick was standing on top of another chick holding it down while all the others were taking turns pecking at its foot. I rescued the poor chickie who had a bloody foot. I had seen pecking before but nothing like this. It was brutal. So the answer is yes. If chicks see blood they turn into cannibals.

You stop it by removing the hurt chick. Just a random fact related to this: Do you know why most chick feeders are red? Because chicks are naturally drawn to peck at the color red.

You stop it by removing the hurt chick. Just a random fact related to this: Do you know why most chick feeders are red? Because chicks are naturally drawn to peck at the color red.
i didn't know that! so if my pullets start to peck at another pullet i would have to separate the one that's being pecked or could i hang food in the coop to stop them? would that work do you think?

i didn't know that! so if my pullets start to peck at another pullet i would have to separate the one that's being pecked or could i hang food in the coop to stop them? would that work do you think?
You need to remove the one being pecked on.

Back
Top Bottom