Pecking wound! Help!

Dec 2, 2017
Endeavor, Wisconsin
My Coop
My Coop
So my young hen has a pecking wound right side by her tail, it is circular maybe almost a quarter in size. it is covered by a hard blackish scab and around it some of the skin seems slightly yellow or blackish. All of my partridge rock hens also all have bare featherless back from other hens pulling out feathers, is that harmful? how can i help them regain feathers and not get them pulled out? but especially the hurt one. i cant get a pic right now but i iwll later or tomorrow if needed! ASAP help plz!!

EDIT: it seems like the scab MAY be peeling at the edges a little

Can hou post a picture of the wound? Do you have a rooster or only hens. Make sure that you have plenty of romm for them, feed a balanced 16-17% protein layer feed if they are of laying age, and you let them out daily to roam around to prevent boredom and pecking.

Use some betadine, Vetericyn or Triple Antibiotic Ointment (Neosporin) on the wound. BluKote is good on wounds that are not deep.

My girls spent the entire winter plucking each other bare. I tried everything - added protein, pecking blocks, adding piles of leaves for foraging - nothing stopped them for more than a few days.
My last resort was to fit them all with peepers. It was grueling and one bird ripped her nostril trying to scratch the peeper off. She is the only one of sixteen birds without a peeper now.
So far, the feather plucking has stopped. I have no idea how long they will need to wear the peepers, but I plan to have them on until I can see some feather regrowth.
I treat all of their wounds with Vetericyn spray. It's easy to apply and works well. I tried the No-Pic (purple stuff that smells like grape bubblegum), but it really doesn't stop them from pecking and they always manage to get more of it on me than I get on them!
The image is of the worst of the plucking. Bernice seems to be an easy target.

Back
Top Bottom