Pecking

JennAtTheFarm

In the Brooder
Jul 31, 2018
I have one hen that has been pecked to the bone. I’ve separated her and taken the pecking culprit out of the flock. I’ve treated the wounds and am hoping for the best. Any suggestions? There is no reason for the pecking. They have ample food, water, a flock block, are given fresh greens every day, clean coop and pen.

Do they have room to get away from each other?
I put pinless peepers on my bully....no more pecking! It was that or freezer camp for her....
peepers.jpg

I just combined two adult flocks to total 21. One was getting bullied and pecked from both sides... I removed her just like you did, she looks more upright and happy .

I’m keeping mine separate but beside the others , I’ve added 2 to her side and they are ok, no fighting .

I’ve been giving mine entertaining things , a litter box full of water , a bucket of sand and rocks , tree branches , climbing structures, keep them busy that might help

Is your poor bird new to the flock? Smaller in size? Where is the wound? Any of the birds involved roosters? Share some pictures if you can. I hope she pulls through!

I have a 4 month silkie that had this same experience recently. It was horrific. We tended to her and to our surprise she is making a comeback. Keeping it clean and away from the others while healing was essential.

We just recently started reintroducing her to the flock. She and the others all came to our home at the same time. I'm not sure why but not everyone in the flock is accepting her back. She has a crossbeak so she is somewhat smaller than the others now. I just discovered her crossbeak and am working to bulk her up, but in the meantime it is hard to see her want to join in with everyone and then be chased away.

The bird that attacked mine has been a bully for awhile, but when lost our "top hen" the group dynamic changed and her nasty behavior picked up. She has since been removed.

Hope things turn out okay.

Is your poor bird new to the flock? Smaller in size? Where is the wound? Any of the birds involved roosters? Share some pictures if you can. I hope she pulls through!

I have a 4 month silkie that had this same experience recently. It was horrific. We tended to her and to our surprise she is making a comeback. Keeping it clean and away from the others while healing was essential.

We just recently started reintroducing her to the flock. She and the others all came to our home at the same time. I'm not sure why but not everyone in the flock is accepting her back. She has a crossbeak so she is somewhat smaller than the others now. I just discovered her crossbeak and am working to bulk her up, but in the meantime it is hard to see her want to join in with everyone and then be chased away.

The bird that attacked mine has been a bully for awhile, but when lost our "top hen" the group dynamic changed and her nasty behavior picked up. She has since been removed.

Hope things turn out okay.
She’s one of the original, new 12 I got this Spring. And they were all new at the same time. She’s alert and eating but definitely cannibalized. Poor baby.

Back
Top Bottom