1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

pecking

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lyarger, Nov 4, 2014.

1. lyarger

lyarger Hatching

Oct 26, 2014
    I have 15 hens and one rooster, They have plenty of food and water and food and "toys" .Some of the hens have pecked the feathers off of the rooster's head. I have tried pine tar, and a sour tasting stuff that was made to stop kids from sucking their thumbs and now blackjack with jalepeno and have separated him for a week but when he is back they start in again.They are still pecking. What else can I try?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member 9 Years

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member 7 Years

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do you let them outside to free range? Usually they are too busy scratching around to pick on each other. I have hawks around, and just saw one today harassing the chickens, but my chickens wouldn't be happy not getting out, so I take the chance. If your coop and run is big enough, I would cage him with food and water until his feathers have grown back in. My Polish chicken has had that happen a couple of times.

4. lyarger

lyarger Hatching

Oct 26, 2014
    The rooster is a crested polish and they have a secured pen 25 by 16 with roost and a coop that is 10 by 12. hope that the tar and hot spice works good today anyway

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: