Pedialite for Cornish X Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mtnhomechick, Jul 25, 2008.

1. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    As some of you may know I received 25 baby cornish x rocks today.

As you also may know we put down little Scarlet today also.

I have some pedialite leftover and was wondering if I should maybe give it to the chicks?

Thanks

2. cherrychicken

cherrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    who is scarlet?

3. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    She was the injured RIR pullet I was trying to heal. I wrote about her and posted pics in a prior post.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    mtnhomechick, it's a real good idea for chickens to have an electrolyte solution in their water with the horrible heat we're having. I add an electrolyte solution (comes in powder form) designed especially for poultry every time I change their water. I got it at the co-op. If you've been advised how to dilute the pedialyte to the correct proportions for chickens, then I'd say go ahead and use it. I've seen a definite difference in how well my chicks are tolerating the heat since I started using it. Here's what mine has in it, in case you want to compare it to pedialyte:
    PER POUND:
    Sodium 4.0%
    Potassium 42.5%
    Magnesium 0.05%
    Stabilized ascorbic acid (vitamin C) 20,000 mg.
    The bag I got is intended for commercial houses and treats something like 264 gallons, so I only use a teaspoon per 2 gallons of water.

5. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    They just came today so their about 3 days old. I don't know how much to put in the gallon waterer I have.

Right now they are under the light like sun worshippers but I just though perhaps the added electrolytes might be helpful. Wonder if it could actually harm them though.....since I don't have the " recipe".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by