Pedialite for Cornish X Chicks

mtnhomechick

Songster
11 Years
Jun 27, 2008
Mountain Home, AR
As some of you may know I received 25 baby cornish x rocks today.

As you also may know we put down little Scarlet today also.

I have some pedialite leftover and was wondering if I should maybe give it to the chicks?

Thanks

mtnhomechick, it's a real good idea for chickens to have an electrolyte solution in their water with the horrible heat we're having. I add an electrolyte solution (comes in powder form) designed especially for poultry every time I change their water. I got it at the co-op. If you've been advised how to dilute the pedialyte to the correct proportions for chickens, then I'd say go ahead and use it. I've seen a definite difference in how well my chicks are tolerating the heat since I started using it. Here's what mine has in it, in case you want to compare it to pedialyte:
PER POUND:
Sodium 4.0%
Potassium 42.5%
Magnesium 0.05%
Stabilized ascorbic acid (vitamin C) 20,000 mg.
The bag I got is intended for commercial houses and treats something like 264 gallons, so I only use a teaspoon per 2 gallons of water.

They just came today so their about 3 days old. I don't know how much to put in the gallon waterer I have.

Right now they are under the light like sun worshippers but I just though perhaps the added electrolytes might be helpful. Wonder if it could actually harm them though.....since I don't have the " recipe".

Back
Top Bottom