pedialyte? ***PIC ADDED***

Quote:
Thank you for all your help.... Since he is still absorbing the yolk, should I just leave the cord for now or still cut it? Either way I will wait until tomorrow when all the kids are in school and my hubby is working. Will probably be best that way.

The cord is no longer connecting him to anything useful. Everything he needs is either inside his belly already, or it's attached firmly to his belly in the form of a swelling (does it look like something yellow sticking out of his belly? Or just a big fat belly with an open area? Either way is normal and means he's still absorbing the yolk). The cord will dry up and fall off on its own eventually, but in the meantime it might get in his way or trip him up, so I would go ahead and cut it at your earliest convenience. It really won't be traumatic--it's probably mostly dried up already anyway, and there is no blood flow in it, so it won't bleed.

Good luck!

Quote:
I cut it this morning, and it DID bleed. So now I'm worried even more. Its more of a clot i guess, but I'm keeping an eye on it. He doesn't seem bothered by it. And he fell back to sleep. I also keep giving him the pedialyte. I guess the only thing now is wait and see what happens?

How much did it bleed? Was it bright red? How quickly did it stop? I'm surprised there was anything in there at all. I still believe he's better off without the shell and such weighing him down, especially if there was only a small amount of blood or if it was clotted or dark red (which indicates it's old and not circulating). How is he doing this morning?

I hope the little one is doing well.

This thread is very informative. Good Luck and keep us updated!

Quote:
It was bright red, and it only bled for a second. (Maybe what was left in the cord?) Its seemed like a lot at the time, but wasn't really that much. He does seem to be slowly improving. After i took the cord off he fell asleep. I just went to check on him and he wasn't laying on his side looking all pathetic like he usually was. He had rolled on his belly and was laying on his belly trying to lift up his head. Although he was and is still struggling to get his head up and move it where he wants it, he is peeping while he tries...I'm hoping it's a very good sign, but also hoping he doesn't tire himself out too much. Is there anything at this point I can or should be doing to help with his "floppy" head?

Wow, that's great news! I'm still surprised there was blood in the cord, but I still think it was the right thing to do. It sounds like he's gaining strength, which is excellent news. The floppy head will come around in time--he will exercise it just trying to pick it up. Everything he's doing is totally normal, it just usually doesn't take so long. But I think with all the problems he had, it's not surprising. You're doing good, and it sounds like he is too. I hope to continue hearing good news from you!

He is doing a lot better tonight. Has a little more control over his neck and his movements in general. And he can hold up his head a little bit longer than he could earlier. He is also trying to stand up and can make it but falls back down after a second. He looks a little more bright eyed as well......
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom